• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Converting F-800 4x2 to 4x4

Duane Lawrence

Occupation
Builder
Hi, I'm a newbie here and I own a small construction business. I'm contemplating doing a 4x4 conversion on a '98 F-800 5.9L 7 speed 26K, 4 x2 cab n' chassis, then putting an 11' contractors dump on it.
I'm building a project where I'll need to be able to circle the construction site in mud, and most of my jobs are off road anyway.
I currently only have an F450 4x4 which is too small/light. An F550 4x4 is prolly too small, too and not gonna be much better than a F450, hence the F800 idea. I'll have a 26K "real" medium duty 4x4 for a lot less than a new F550 4x4 with only 17.5K.

Anyone ever done this or have any suggestions? My last M/D was an IH1700 4x4 and I never should have got rid of it!!!

Last edited:

badranman

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner Cutting Edge Construction Limited
I've seen this discussed on other sites and in several four wheeling magazines where people write in and the tech guy answers them. All of them say it is way easier and cheaper to just buy the 4x4. Things such as will the oilpan clear the front pumpkin, will the front driveshaft clear the exhaust etc. need to be adressed. You will need a new rear driveshaft. You will have to fab some transfer case brackets as well. Most recommened putting your body on a 4x4 chassis. This is the only way they see it being cheap. I've done several projects with vehicles in the past and I find most times what you think will be cheap ends up costing alot more for unexpected problems and other parts you didn't think you needed. Having said that, I'm not that familiar with the Ford F800. Maybe these are a little easier than a reg pickup. :beatsme

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
welcome to HeavyEquipmentForums!!:drinkup

I was going to chime in and say it sounds like an ambitious project! I actually think the smaller trucks would be easier, they aren't as difficult as you think, most parts are just bolt on.

The F-800 will be a bigger project, simply because the parts are so much bigger. If you're equipped to do heavy truck repairs with lifts, etc. it may not be too bad, but that transfer case will be heavy to lift in place! I think you're best bet would be to find a donor vehicle so all the parts are readily accessible and don't nickle and dime you to death.

I'm inclined to agree with badranman that you might be better off selling your truck and looking for a 4x4 chassis. They're out there, I see them in Rock and Dirt and Truck Trader very often at fairly reasonable prices.

Duane Lawrence

Occupation
Builder
I've seen only a handfull of F-800 4x4's in the last year of looking. Most already have Altec buckets or digger derricks mounted on them and the seller won't seperate them. About 70% of the '98 &'99 are allisons :Banghead which I don't want. So it's tough finding the exact truck.

The conversion process is no problem, but it is expensive. I got prices from Marmon Herrington and Tulsa Truck. It's expensive, but their work is excellent.

I just found the right truck for conversion, but it was sold yesterday to a higher bidder....my loss.

I can prolly do the whole job (4x4 conversion & 12' dump body) on a '98/'99 for ~$37,000. It'd be a lot more truck than an F-550 4x4 with an 11' dump and probably last many more years since it's a true medium duty truck chassis.

donlang

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner- full service excavating firm
If and when you do this project, I'd like to see before, during, and after photos! Sounds like a mountain of work, but could be real rewarding!

Best of luck...........

BKrois

Charter Member
Occupation
Multi purpose
How bout an old army 6x6 dump? Can pick one up for under $10k and they look pretty beefy. See ads for them in rock and dirt and truck trader.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I have a Talsa truck converson on a F600 and it seems ok for what it was ment to be.
If it were up to me I would buy a new 4x4 with interest rates as low as they are and a waranty with it.