• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Converting trailer to lowboy?

suladas

In my search for a lowboy I came across this odd trailer that is virtually new and really cheap, $12k that may be able to convert to a lowboy?

The reason I like it is because it's super short, I don't want a 48' or 53' or a tri-axle it's just too long. Trying to find a 42' is not easy and even shorter would be nice.

My thoughts were have to put new crossmembers pretty much entire way, probably 13 of them, and add about a 4' beavertail and ramps at the rear, deck it, and add a few more marker lights. Fair amount of work for sure, but if I end up with virtually a new lowboy for like $16k-17k that would be really great. $2000 would buy 13 crossmembers and the outside rail, would think $1000 would do beavertail and ramps, few bucks for lights and wire, maybe $1000 for decking?

My concerns are, is the narrow frame width and axle width going to be an issue widening deck to 9" or even 9'6"? Or would it sway worse? It's spring suspension.

I priced out 6" channel for crossmembers and 8" channel for outside rail, which is the size of material on my 25 ton tag that I haul my hoe on now so it's definitely heavy enough. I do notice virtually any beavertail on heavy trailers is continuous from the frame, so that would be an issue, but i'd imagine with good welds welding I-beam ends together would be fine? I would have the ramps touching the ground in order to reduce strain on the beavertail.

Time is not an issue going to have plenty of it this winter and wouldn't be in a rush, and I have a great welder with not much going on that would be happy to help.

Is it doable or is there something i'm missing in how this trailer was made compared to a lowboy that makes it a bad idea?

s-l96.jpg

Old Doug

All ways figure it will cost double what you think it should. I have built several trailers from the ground up lowboys,flatbeds, and rail trailers. I am looking for a trailer my self i need something with 1 axle around 30' i would like a single drop. I have thought about buying a 4?' flatbed and cut it up sounds simply but it isnt. I would stay away from this.

suladas

All ways figure it will cost double what you think it should. I have built several trailers from the ground up lowboys,flatbeds, and rail trailers. I am looking for a trailer my self i need something with 1 axle around 30' i would like a single drop. I have thought about buying a 4?' flatbed and cut it up sounds simply but it isnt. I would stay away from this.

Yea fair enough, I totally expect a project like that would take way more time and money then you think it will.

suladas

s-l640%20(10).webp
Sorry not sure what happened and why it's so small. It's a chassis king trailer, said it was made for moving a doghouse. From pictures and description looks like it was barely, if at all used.

s-l640.jpg

s-l640.jpg

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Shipping container lock downs on it
May be enough structure to work with but gonna take time and money to make it a lowboy
Dovetail at rear
Frame fill in for floor
Cannot tell how heavy is already but could become altogether too heavy for functional.
Could salvage main beams and suspension but defeat the purchase validity.

suladas

Shipping container lock downs on it
May be enough structure to work with but gonna take time and money to make it a lowboy
Dovetail at rear
Frame fill in for floor
Cannot tell how heavy is already but could become altogether too heavy for functional.
Could salvage main beams and suspension but defeat the purchase validity.

They are asking $12k, for $10-25k i'm looking at a really old lowboy that i'm guessing is going to need work no matter what. There is virtually no tandems 42' or shorter that are at least 9' wide, it's either 8'6" deck, much longer, or tri-axle. They had a few of them and this is the last one left, they buy a ton of auction stuff i'm guessing they didn't pay much for them, maybe willing to deal a bit. If I spend $12k on it, then put another even $6k to get it done exactly how I want it and even say 150 man hours into it I would be super happy with that. I also like that it's 17.5" rubber making the deck height even lower. I would also rather do steel, lights, and deck work then brakes, etc work. I am guessing it's fairly light compared to the old lowboys i'm looking at that look like 18" I beam frame rails as well as outside rails, and it's so short, even with a beavertail it would be nearly 10' shorter. As long as trailer is under 20,000lbs it's fine.

This trailer would be perfect if it's in good shape, but $25k seems like a lot for a 40 year old trailer unless it's mint and it's 8 hours away. In the end if I had the chassis trailer done up exactly how I wanted it for $18k and 150 hours of my mine, i'd prefer it over this one.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1586406138

suladas

Thinking i'll go take a look at the trailer tomorrow and get a better idea. Anything specific I should be looking for? I want to see the tag for sure and find a GVW and measure frame size.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Brakes, suspension issues, lighting and how wiring ran, any cracking in that lighter C channel framing, as labeled GVWR as that will not change even as modified and may actually reduce by added structure.

Would be seriously measuring everything at the points that need steel and getting estimates of materials both $ and weight.
Doubt can or will be as low as $6k, more like 12 + welding materials and would double time to get it done.

Last edited: