• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crazy backhoe idea-question!

syndy

Occupation
Retired
My 580SE is far from me now so I only have photos to imagine this, BUT! Has anyone ever tried to attach a 3 point attachment to a backhoe using maybe chains on either side and a chain to the bucket in the transport position to control the up/down? I have an occasion coming up where I would like to drag a box-blade, rake or even a cultivator behind my backhoe.

If not chains on the sides maybe iron pipe or something similar. One reason to me that it might not work is that the machine is to bouncy. :Banghead

JDOFMEMI

It may not be great, but it should work. To help with the bounce, get a load in the front bucket to help keep the front tires on the ground when you pick it up. I would suggest to leave the boom in the transport lock and control lifting and lowering with the stick.
Chain the draft arms to the lower end of the outriggers, or if you want to get fancy, make some kind of clamp to go around them that you could pin the draft arms to. Like I said, it will not be ideal, but with patience you can do it.

Geardoc

I have an old Case 380 Road Runner BH/FEL tractor, think they were called Landscape models, they were David Brown's that were rebadged.

I bring this up because I was in Robbinsville NC, and one of the Orr's had a weird attachment that had a set of three point hitch arms and the center link, it had the ability to attach to the side of the tractor, and it had the ability to hook up your hydraulics and have draft and height adjustment. He also had a gear box which had David Brown branding that was basically a gear reducer with a PTO output, only one speed though- 540, so no 1:1, or otherwise. So essentially, you could remove your rear bucket and arm and use the tractor as a farm tractor. Instead of buying it, my father found a Zetor 7711 Orchard tractor and bought it. I always regretted that he didn't buy it, as the Case 380 RR Backhoe we have is one heck of a tractor, even without proper outriggers.

At an agricultural auction in Alabama I saw another of one of those adapters like I'd seen in Robbinsville, and I wish I had bought it. So I know they are out there for the 380. Yours may be such a completely different animal, that such a thing doesn't exist.

Something else you might consider is getting one of the cheap quick change 3pt hitch units from Harbor Freight, before they discontinue them, and add some plate and backing, and build it where it will go on the front of your tractor, ala the skid steer adapter above.

syndy

Occupation
Retired
Well, maybe not so crazy after all. Here is my rendition of how I would try and do it. The red showing what is added.8622250068_5cca50e593_z.jpg
I can't put a larger photo here to see the details so here is a link to a full size photo. http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8389/8622250068_e2cf33be0e_o.jpg Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming. Where our farm is in NC there is a lot of equipment just rusting away in backyards and fields. When I see an attachment I stop and see if it is for sale. Up to this point stuff has sort of been off limits, at least until I can rig something up.

JDOFMEMI

That is what I had in mind. I would probably put the lower links closer in toward the pivot on the outriggers rather than halfway out like you show, but you have the idea.

Let us know if it works out for you.