• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crusher Quetions Please

nehinc

Hello we are materials re-sale company located in Dearborn Michigan. I have a question for those well versed in crushing equipment. We are shopping for crusher but the type has not yet been determined. We will need to crush materials 1/8 by 1/2 down to fines. Material needs to be flat, flaky, sharp shape not round shaped like stones or BBs. The material will be what is called C-fines or B Scrap which is 65% FE and metallic also containing slag. This material is a by-product or steel making. If you can offer any direction or help it would be greatly appreciated.

regards,
R Johnson

nehinc

Hello I wanted to add the hardness of the material is Medium to hard, the crusher does not have to be mobile and we will crush the material dry,
thanks

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
We need your definition of "fines", ie: what size sieve does it need to pass? Besides the iron(FE) what is the other "metallic"?
Mike

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
I guess my questions scared him off!! We can't help w/o knowing the makeup of the product and what size they want.

Mike

nehinc

I am a very busy man these days ( for a change) , In the iron ore business we call fines anything -6mm. I hope this helps describing. We appreciate any advice.

0.8 % Mn, 0.15 Cr, 0.10-0.20 C,
Balance of elements are just a trace. Of no consequence.
95 % Must pass 16 mesh.

Last edited:

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
I'm old so I guess I'm getting confused. You stated it had to be crushed down to fines, which you state is minus 6mm which is a little less than 1/4" maybe a little larger than #4 mesh. Then you say the finished product has to be 95% passing #16 mesh which is a little larger than 1/16". So which is it?? Sounds like some kind of impact crusher is needed for this and your screen is going to need to be fairly large to screen out 95% passing #16 and the incoming material will need to be very dry. Dust control might be very difficult w/o a vacuum system. You also said the product is 65% iron. Is this iron ore or just plain iron from the furnaces?? If plain iron that's going to pretty tough to reduce down to #16.
JMHO,
Mike

Last edited:

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
If you get a Barmac buy an extra rotor. It's easier and faster to swap out rotors, then maintenance people can change out rotor wear parts more easily. Been there, done that!!
Mike

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
This guy must be awfully busy!! He throws a question at us and then doesn't seem to need the answers we give.
Mike