• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crusher tracks

Hunter013

Occupation
Head Floor Sweeper
Machine sat in the same spot for a couple of months. Getting ready to load it on a trailer to crush on another site and the pin shears. I was planning on cutting/pressing the old pin and link out and replacing. What else can I do to loosen the other frozen links? Some people say penetrates or oils work, some say they don’t. Would it hurt anything if I heat up the joint? I read somewhere letting it soak in water works well, but I don’t have anything like that accessible. Any suggestions are appreciated.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
A great way to dispose of waste oil. That's what I would do. Heat probably won't help much. The rock dust got into the bushing and seized up. It's gotta work it out. Unfortunately, when you work a mobil crusher, stationary, this happens.

Tags

We had a similar situation with our tracks on the mobile crusher we have. The only solution was new chains. We tried soaking them but nothing worked. The machine barely wanted to walk with the siezed up pins. It’s like a new machine when you walk it now with the new chains, wayyyyy easier to load it on the trailer too.

Hunter013

Occupation
Head Floor Sweeper
Ended up cutting out old pin and put in a close diameter piece of round stock in its place. Tried to move it, and another pin sheared a few links down. Did the same thing and then put oil all over the tracks. Left a little bit of slack in the tracks and its worked well so far.

Tags

If you’re walking it a lot and the tracks are seized up like that, it’s real hard on the final drives.

busyfixin

When I bought my powerscreen, (three years old) it had been in a coal mine and the tracks were sized up pretty tight. Had to back off the adjusters to super loose and let the sized up sections go around however they would go. We drizzled used ATF on them every day. Once they started moving a little better I had one of my guys put it up on the jacks and spin the tracks for half an hour. They loosened up pretty well, but I still put used at on them evert now and then.