• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Crushing shale

ttomkat

My boss is looking to send big pile of shale through the crusher. Has anyone ever crushed straight shale ?? Did you close the jaw all the way and had the speed on the feeder all the way up??

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Shale and limestone are close in hardness and silica content. Your feed vs your jaw are gonna have to be balanced. We have jaws and HSIs all around us breaking white limestone all day . Your desired product will dictate your jaw opening. Feeder speed will be determined by how fast your plant can eat through the shot-rock. HSIs don't want to be choked, where jaws should run choked full.

ttomkat

Thank you. My boss is trying to make something as close to item 4 as possible. people call it different names but it primarily used as the last layer before the asphalt. So today I closed the jaw all the way and sent some through but it really doesn’t seem like it’s doing much lol. To me the shale is to small and already broken down as small as going get. And tips ? Or sending it through a waste of time

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
If the shot-rock is less than your CSS, you'll not realize any changes. If you're trying to make ⅜ or ¼ from a jaw you're going to have an uphill battle. Recommend renting a cone or a VSI.
I'm not saying it's impossible. Just wasteful and impractical.