• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CTL Final Drive Oil Analysis

Tyler d4c

I certainly didn't get that memo.
My 279c I had was still going plenty good at 5200 hours when I sold it. Then I got the super low 1800 hour 259d. Only reason is for the sale was the 79 had steel tracks and I was sick of not needing them

ih100

I’ve only worked on Cat CTL’s, but the fleet of six259/289/299’s I’ve looked after has totalled some 30,000 hrs. The Advise about changing the final oil at the same time as the engine oil is spot on, and every oil change I’ve performed the oil has been filthy. However, two finals out of twelve have failed the seal between the sprocket carrier and the rear housing of the final, and one totally detonated the gear train at about 3,000 hrs with no warning, despite the wear pattern on the remaining teeth showing nothing abnormal and the final still having the correct oil level. As someone remarked earlier, these machines aren’t designed to be rebuilt like you would a D11.

Tree Mulcher

Apologies to the OP for the thread hi jack. @ih100 Your hours of experience are not too far off of mine. Have you experienced failures on the hydraulic motor side of the drives? I had a number of these fail on the hydraulic side sending metal through the hydraulic system damaging much of the hydraulic system. I had at least 15 failures on cat machines. I figure 100K in parts alone on cat drive assemblies. The bobcat and ASV machines I ran had much lower failure rates on the hydraulic systems and drive motors. Heck I had multiple cat machines have the hydraulic motor side of a track drive assembly fail destroying most of the hydraulic system with less then 500 hrs on the machine. Cat machines are the only ones I have ran were a single hydraulic component failing could destroy the whole system due to poor filtration in my experience, all before oil samples could catch the issue.

Last edited:

ih100

Apologies to the OP for the thread hi jack. @ih100 Your hours of experience are not too far off of mine. Have you experienced failures on the hydraulic motor side of the drives? I had a number of these fail on the hydraulic side sending metal through the hydraulic system damaging much of the hydraulic system. I had at least 15 failures on cat machines. I figure 100K in parts alone on cat drive assemblies. The bobcat and ASV machines I ran had much lower failure rates on the hydraulic systems and drive motors. Heck I had multiple cat machines have the hydraulic motor side of a track drive assembly fail destroying most of the hydraulic system with less then 500 hrs on the machine. Cat machines are the only ones I have ran were a single hydraulic component failing could destroy the whole system due to poor filtration in my experience, all before oil samples could catch the issue.
No, never had a motor failure. We do the oil and filter changes on the button. Mind you, drive hoses are a constant pain, done every single one at least once.