• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cubic yards to tons

GCC

Occupation
Excavation
Does anyone know how to convert cubic yards to tons a company I normally use is to busy to haul for me and this company runs on tons not yards like the other one. So I need to convert 575 cyards of granular "B" and 250 cyards of granular "A" to tons but been a couple years since I've had to do the conversion if I remember right it was about 1.37 tons per yard. Thanks for the help

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Remember that everywhere you go it can be diff conversions due the moisture content of your materials ...have seen it where they had to do load checks daily, especially after a rain .....

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
There is no way to calculate cubic yards to tonnes across the board, because different materials have different densities and as CRAFT said, it would also depend whether the material is wet or dry. The only way you can work it out is to weigh a known quantity of the material you are using, to work out the density, you may have a small truck that holds a known quantity of cubic yards. For instance, limestone that we produce can weigh between 1.0 to 1.2 tonnes per cubic yard, whereas blue metal can weigh as much as 1.4 to 1.5 tonnes per cubic yard and this will vary again, depending on whether the material is wet or dry.

RnR.

klyons

Occupation
Master Mechanic
gotta weigh a cubic yard of the material the drier the better

buckfever

we've never done this with gravel. When we have a job where the trucks can only weight so much we will put ten or so buckets of dirt in our truck and get weighed on a scale.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Clean your glasses ! ....it already is ..............for the benifit of the iliterate......lmfao

So it is there Craft,was looking for more of a common type chart like this: ton[in lbs.]=cu. yds.,NOT the kg. thing which looking quickly threw me a loop. And talking [or not] about the pot and kettle---it's benefit---for your benefit. LMFAO

blademan150

Occupation
Retired Local 150 Operating Engineer
I like that chart English- English AND American- English

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
One day the lower half of the North American continent is going to actually join the 21st Century, but I'm not holding my breath .............

I certainly hope not.You have no idea how much I hated buying my metric tools years ago.It still seems strange to me as I have to struggle some just to look at the fastener to figure out the size needed.With SAE--any size say from 3/16'' to 1'' I'll ace correctly every time------edit---almost every time.