• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cummins PT240 what the actual....

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
I'm going up the wall a little here ...

In the process of resurrecting a 1986 Paystar 6x6 with a Cummins PT240.
Essentially I have little or no time for Cummins and the mincy 7LL transmission but trying to feel out the platform.
After rewiring all the lights and essentials I chased up a cold cylinder. (#1) Found a blocked injector. Cleaned and reinstalled and no change. Swapped #1 for #2 and no change.
More inspection, disassembly and reassembly and the temp gun shows a good, albeit a few degrees colder than the remainder of cylinders.
Now #2 is cold. Block temperature.
I swear blind it was good and now it's cold.
Wondering if the unit, after being sat for a number of years would be prone to sticking injectors and if it just needs pigging up a hill and cleaning out?!
Anyone have any wisdom for me?!

Truck Shop

What is a {PT} 240? NTC240. BC or SC? What method was used to reset overhead on
front two cylinders? Stat stuck open, coolant racing through radiator? Because of the
type of injector those don't stick like a detroit. But just how old is the fuel and how black
is it in the tank?
What method/how did you clean injector?

simonsrplant

Occupation
Heavy Duty Off Road RSE
What is a {PT} 240? NTC240. BC or SC? What method was used to reset overhead on
front two cylinders? Stat stuck open, coolant racing through radiator? Because of the
type of injector those don't stick like a detroit. But just how old is the fuel and how black
is it in the tank?
What method/how did you clean injector?
Basically an NT855 small cam. Lowest power I believe from that series.
I need to confirm from Cummins the exact spec for overhead adjustment as online specs seem to vary subject to model so I used the original spec "for now" till I get the correct spec.
Fuel looks relatively clean, it's likely 8 years old tho. I've topped it off with new fuel and added conditioner and injector cleaner along with a new filter.
Stat seems to be in good order and hold a good degree of heat.
#1 (original cold cylinder) injector was spotted up and possibly blocked. Disassemble and wire brushed off then lubed with oil and reinstalled. Injector pattern was visible "fixed" after cleaning.
Repeated the exercise in #5 and found different markings / wear on the injector. Impossible for me to know if that is the problem as I can't test the injector. I'll swap it to #1 tomorrow just to rule out the cylinder.
I have a friend with a small cam running unit for parts so I'll likely swap out all injectors if I don't get any joy.
Before someone comments the spec will be different, I know, I'm trying to get it running as best I can for a little as possible to prove the platform is worth investing in.

Truck Shop

The PT is just a marketing name--NTC 240, Injector # 3054223, .011 intake, .023 exhaust,
70 inch lb on injector, valves & injector are set at same time on each cylinder following
firing order 153624. Jakes set at .018. That's for a small cam
There is a slightly less HP NTC 230. CPL 488. There were allot of those sold to military use
as 240's & 230's.