• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cutting heavy steel

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
I've been doing a little scrapping this winter since dirt is frozen up here in northern pa. And I have found an old northwest dragline that someone hacked up for scrap and stopped at the heavy iron 4"< what do you all suggest to cut this heavy iron down to size?

big tip oxy/accetelene, oxy/mapp...

Saw a you tube video of a gasoline / oxygen torch that looked too good to be true - the petrogen torch.

so what do you all use??

Championized

I used a petro-gen torch at a demo years ago. Pretty amazing. Too expensive for the shop though. But if I was doing scrap, I would have nothing else. Rust and dirt don't bother it and the way it can cut layered steel is unreal.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Wow petrogen looks pretty good. Rough idea on how much they cost?

jrtraderny

I've been doing a little scrapping this winter since dirt is frozen up here in northern pa. And I have found an old northwest dragline that someone hacked up for scrap and stopped at the heavy iron 4"< what do you all suggest to cut this heavy iron down to size?

big tip oxy/accetelene, oxy/mapp...

Saw a you tube video of a gasoline / oxygen torch that looked too good to be true - the petrogen torch.

so what do you all use??

If you're able to load it take it in one piece, today's price on mixed long was $300 ton.
jr

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
gas powered cut off saw

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 1,301

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
jr might have the best idea. We will see, currently the guy is askin too much compared to the return i'd get from sellin it so we will see.

Dualie

if you have enough tonnage it is. And i rarely do it myself a good burner can make you several hundred dollars and hour while only costing you $15hr plus fuel and oxy. My local welding supply will rent a liquid oxygen cask for $35 a month and that will burn a whole hell of alot of steel.

I already have a burning torch and a 100Lb propane cylinder.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
my local yard is paying my 350 a ton for short, 235 for tin and unprepared. If I haul it 4 hrs one way i can get 300 unprepared and 390 prepared. But due to transport costs I've been staying local. My cutter has been doing good as he is getting 7 ton prepared out of $100 of gas $70 in time using oxy/acc, im going to switch him to propane tomorrow and see how he does.

He will have his work cut out for him as he is processing some old double frame trucks....

Dualie

I personally look for the $100 hr jobs. My good burner can make me well over $100 an hour when hes in the groove.