• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cutting torch for beginner

Columbo

Hi all, I’d like to purchase a cutting torch for light duty cutting (up to 1”) and heating nuts/bolts. I’m not a welder and don’t plan on using the torch for welding purposes. I’d like a portable torch rig that could be used for field work away from my shop. Seems like the Victor G150 setup is similar to what I need and the price is right. Is there a better option and will the small bottles in this setup be annoying if I’m only using it as I described? Any experience with the harbor freight knock-off version?

https://www.amazon.com/Victor-Techn...ocphy=9002357&hvtargid=pla-570094930525&psc=1

https://www.harborfreight.com/portable-torch-kit-with-oxygen-and-acetylene-tanks-65818.html

skyking1

you're not going to cut an inch of steel with either of those. IF all you are doing is cutting, ditch the acetylene or MAPP gas and go with propane from the start.
Oxygen does all the work with cutting.
Get a bigger bottle and regulator and hoses. All that little tote stuff is good for is pissing you off when it runs out. It is really intended more for brazing and welding.

Look at this chart
https://www.gwsco.com/industrial-cylinder-sizes

Get at least a Q sized bottle, 80 Cu Ft.

Last edited:

Columbo

Thank you, skyking. Can I use an acetylene torch with propane? Is it possible to simply use a barbecue propane cylinder with a regulator and then buy an oxygen cylinder?

Delmer

Depends on what you mean by light duty. If you need to cut off a couple of 1" bolts every year, and heat something up every couple months, that's a great set. And maybe stick with acetylene, the oxygen goes farther with acetylene, at least that's what I've heard.

If you're cutting 1" plate for repairs and a little fabricating, you'll want a bigger oxygen tank, and propane will be more convenient and cheaper.

You need a propane tip that goes on the same torch and regulators, the hose technically should be different, but it works fine for propane. BBQ tanks work fine for me.

Columbo

The propane idea has me intrigued, I have several propane cylinders around already. I’ll start researching this. It would probably be easiest for me to go to a welding supply store but there are none near me unfortunately so I have to figure out what to order online.

skyking1

all the more reason to get a larger Oxygen cylinder, you will have to go to the welding supply to get that filled anyway.

Columbo

Is there any reason not to buy a used, name brand torch setup? Then go to the welding store for a cylinder of oxygen and a propane regulator?

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Not at all. Hit up the local pawn shops for a stolen rig. Facebook market place or whatever.

Jonas302

You can absolutly cut one inch steel with that victor set I do it all the time its my every day carry torch tote and an extra set of tanks in the service truck in the gravel crushing and hauling business speed and versatility are the name of the game inch steel is childs play Is it my only torch set not by a long shot but I dont leave home without it

materthegreater

I forget where in NH you're located, but I think I have an old torch I'd consider selling. Might be missing a part or two. I'll check if you're interested

Columbo

Thanks for the feedback guys! @materthegreater I’m in the Keene/Concord area. If you had a torch you’d part with and are reasonably local I’d be interested. Thanks!

Approximately how much run time would I get out of the mini Victor setup I listed in the first post? I assume if I wanted to move to bigger bottles or a propane setup I could use the same regulators/hose/torch body?

Zewnten

I have the small Forney torch set, it lasts a couple hours of cutting. So don't run the torch unnescessarily. Only light it when you know what and how you're cutting. I use propane for bigger in the shop work but for little stuff I like my small set up. Easy to move around. If you're not working in the field why limit yourself to the small set?

terex herder

First, figure out where you are going to buy your oxygen bottle and how you are going to exchange them. If you are inexperienced the bottles shown won't last you 20 minutes of cutting time. Buy a real sized oxygen bottle and use propane. The compressed gas market around here anyway is a gigantic CF. Prices start out stupid high, and come down to merely insane the more bitching you do.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
I do as much mass heating with a rosebud tip as I do cutting with a torch. I might braze on occasion, but rarely. I have propane tips, acetylene tips and all the kit to use but I prefer the acetylene for the higher temps. Unless I'm doing a lot of gas cutting to justify propane, I stick with the acetylene. It always seems to take forever with propane to get to cutting temp.

It's all about personal preference. Each gas works fine for cutting purposes as long as you have the oxygen to make the cut. Me, I reach for the plasma cutter 90% of the time as long as it fits the job. Each tool has its place but a torch is more versatile.

materthegreater

Thanks for the feedback guys! @materthegreater I’m in the Keene/Concord area. If you had a torch you’d part with and are reasonably local I’d be interested. Thanks!

Approximately how much run time would I get out of the mini Victor setup I listed in the first post? I assume if I wanted to move to bigger bottles or a propane setup I could use the same regulators/hose/torch body?

I will look and see if what I have will make a complete set. I'll send you a PM

materthegreater

Found this one, you can have for free. It's a cheap discount store set, and I think they used inferior rubber. The o-rings started to leak, and the rubber diaphragms in the regulators also leaked. I think the hose might be cracked as well. The hard parts seem fine. I know I had more parts, so I'll keep looking.

PXL_20230114_154319947.jpg

Columbo

I was at a garage sale today and picked up two sets of regulators for cheap. The Harris set seem to be in good used condition, the other set is mismatched but unused. I’ll have to get a couple cylinders to test them under pressure.
upload_2023-1-22_17-53-7.jpeg
upload_2023-1-22_17-53-21.jpeg
upload_2023-1-22_17-53-42.jpeg