• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D185Q tow behind compressor John Deere motor sump question

Cberr

totally new here. Just working on the above mentioned believe it’s a Sullivan d185q compressor. Typically only used for blow out of lawn irrigation on a 5 acre property. Used roughly 2-3 hours per year and is stored for remainder. Usually always starts fine. Runs good.
Problem last use about 4 days ago was after luckily I was able to finish with the blow out of irrigation system but a minute after I hear a loud PSHHHhh. I check to see what it could be and I locate it to what I think you call the sump big round tank looking thing. On top of that are some fittings and flex tubes running to various places and hat looks like a regulators. Well, one of those was blowing air out a threaded hole. I’m pretty sure there was nothing going to the hole or any plug that blew out. Looked in area and didn’t see any blown lines or fittings that may have come loose. I removed this regulator and it says Humphrey but that’s about all I could read. My question I guess is , is this a regulator or a pressure release valve? Is it a bad valve regulator or is it a pressure release just doing it’s job and issue is somewhere else. Like I said all worked fine in use till I heard it leaking air from this threaded hole. I’ll attach pics to see what I’m talking about. Thanks in advance. Hoping to fix it before putting it back into storage so all is ready for next year. But I’d really like to know what it does so I can understand what it’s doing and why it’s shooting out air and what I’d need to do to fix it. IMG_8383.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8387.jpeg
    IMG_8387.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8389.jpeg
    IMG_8389.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8390.jpeg
    IMG_8390.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF Cberr;)!

I think that is the minimum air pressure valve. Was it mounted on top of the separator tank? Sullivan offers free user manuals that have theory of operation in them. You can access that manual here.

This is taken out of the manual:

The minimum pressure valve is located at the service air outlet (at the top of the separator). This valve
serves to maintain a minimum internal pressure of 65 to 80 psi in operation, which is required to assure
proper air/oil separation. At normal operating pressure of 90 psig, this valve is wide open, effectively
removing any restriction to airflow.

Cberr

I think that’s what it was. What happened was I took it off and it was pretty dirty so cleaned it off and blew it out pretty well. Reinstalled it just to see, and it ended up working. Now that it had my attention, it blew a little air on startup and then turned off, so seems like exactly what you said, it opens at low pressure then shuts down as pressure builds up. Before it was just constantly blowing. Thanks for replying. A couple of google lens searches and the help of online forum, problem averted and money saved. Appreciate ya!