• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D31S Final Repairs.

JimInOz

Hi All,
It's about time I applied myself to fixing the bad R/H Final Drive on my Komatsu D31S-16.
I have the parts & repair manuals,so I'm OK there.
However,I'm interested in hearing any tips & hints that might make this repair a "did it right first time" repair.I had to import replacement parts from the UK ,so I need a good result,first time.
I've fixed a few steering clutches & the odd TD9 gearbox,but never done anything except oil change on a Final Drive.
Bearings are NTN brand....are there any brands which are better/best for this application?
All advice is appreciated.Thanx..
Jim

Final Drive Job Sept 10 (24) (Small).JPGFinal Drive Job Sept 10 (15) (Small).JPGFinal Drive Job Sept 10 (19) (Small).JPG

Attachments

• D31S Bullgear # 29001 Upwards (Small).jpg
    D31S Bullgear # 29001 Upwards (Small).jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 414
  • D31S Final (3) (Small).JPG
    D31S Final (3) (Small).JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:

boone

Not much help here, but interested in your repair. Looks like your a good way into it. Please keep us posted.

JimInOz

I've had the machine pulled apart for a while....just waiting on the parts to arrive.
The repair manual is typically Japanese...very basic step-by step info,but I'm sure there are tip & tricks that I'm unaware of,that can make this repair better/quicker.

Thinking of sourcing bearings from the USA,as local prices are usually over the top.
May also need a hydraulic push-pull tool,to fit pinion to steering flange.Local hire place didn't have any...

I'm happy to hear from anyone with experience in Final Drive repairs.Thanks..

Jim