• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D3B Dozer

cannedman

Occupation
Retired Information Systems Manager
I am looking at a 1979 or 1980 D3B dozer. It has 80% under carriage; 6 way blade; pedal steer; new clutches; 3600 hours. The owner says it is a good work horse but if run real hard it can use up to two quarts of oil by blow by. Does anyone know if this engine has sleeved cylinders or not? Also is asking $9500.00 for machine. I will be going to look at the machine on Sunday is there anything I should be looking for on this dozer?

Any suggestions or opinions welcome.

TIA

Leonard

cannedman

Occupation
I don't have a serial number but I have a call into the owner to see if he can get it for me.

Thanks.

cannedman

Occupation
The serial number for the tractor is 23y0467 and the engine is 45v24173.

hthunder

3204 engine , no sleeves.
jr

Yep, 3204 engine.Solid block unless someone has bored it and installed liners. Also has 2 ring pistons and was noted for blowby when new. Overhaul kits come available with 3 ring pistons. Make sure the engine does not overheat. These engines do blow head gaskets however the engines are simple to work on. I have a 1980 D3b and I would not take $9500 for it. That is not a bad price if the machine is in good shape and you can put some money in it and still not be hurting.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
It also appears the engine is not original. According to the tractor Serial Number the Engine Serial # should be 45V32894 or higher. So it looks as though someone's dropped a different 3204 engine in it at some point. If you do buy this dozer you should use the Engine Serial Number for ordering engine parts otherwise you might get something that doesn't fit.

The Part Number for a correct replacement Cylinder Block Gp for your engine would be 4N-0101.

cannedman

Occupation
Nige,

I brought it home and the plate on the side of the unit has both serial numbers on it that I posted. I will try to get some pictures and post them soon.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

hthunder

Nige,

I brought it home and the plate on the side of the unit has both serial numbers on it that I posted. I will try to get some pictures and post them soon.

Thanks to everyone for their help.[/

Those serial numbers seem right to me. I checked mine and they are 23Y0584 and engine is 45V25436. Another piece of advice is keep the driveshaft under your floor board lubricated.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Sorry for any confusion. It's just that "the system" says for your Serial # of tractor the engine Serial # should be 45V32894 or higher. If both numbers are on the same plate on the tractor it has to be kosher. Not the first time the system will have been wrong BTW .........

See if there is a Serial # plate on the engine, just to make sure.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Two quarts of oil in how long is the question here. In a day? or how long of a time span.
To me there are a couple of things that raise an eyebrow here as I have lots of experience with D3.
The 3,600 hours seems suspect to me for a couple of reasons. My D3 had 5,500 hours on it before engine was tore done, yes it was using oil by that point.
Next thing is 3,600 hours and 80% undercarriage does not add up. I always got 3,200 to 3,400 hours on rail on mine. That means it has had to have been replaced at some point in time. New steering clutches sound suspect too. My machine has almost 9,000 hours on it now and still has original clutch packs. Only thing I have done there is replace the pads on the brake bands.
At any rate for $9,500.00 it still is a deal. Steering clutches are a sizeable amount of money.

Cat_man320

The 3204 is noted for blow -by . I own a D3B and had a 931 b track loader . They are not sleeved as said earlier stated . keep final drives full to the plug . 9500.00 is a great price if its a workable dozer . however if its going through 2 qts of oil a day or something like that, its going to be a torment and a rebuild is in your future .
engines will over heat if machine has been used in a topsoil or peat enviroment . The rad plugs fairly quickly and needs to be pressure cleaned occasionally or overheating will occur .

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Only way a 3204 is sleeved is if it gets bored out and sleeved on an over haul.

Vtgreg

Cat_man320. My D3b does seem to run hot, but not over heat. I will check the radiator fins. Thanks for the tip. You suggest to keep the final drives full. What fluid to you suggest? the service manual specs a oil that is no longer available, and my local dealer said one type, while a different dealer said some thing else. same goes tor the hydraulic, and trans I just bought my unit last year, and want to service it before using it

Vtgreg

Does any one have a drawing, or template for the engine side covers on a 1985 or so, D3b? Or side covers they want to sell in the New Jersey or Vermont area?