• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D4C hydraulic oil cooler failed 5th time

blanchb

I have a 2001 Caterpillar D4C hystat LGP. I am in the process of replacing the hydraulic oil cooler for the 5th time since I bought it in 2008. All of the coolers have failed in the same area. (bottom right corner). The parts department at my local caterpillar dealership is telling me that’s the only cooler available and that it is a caterpillar part. They said I’m the only one having this problem so it’s not a defective cooler and it must be something that I’m doing wrong.
I can’t imagine how I could be installing this wrong. It bolts onto the front of the radiator and It has two hydraulic hoses connecting to it. It also has a foam seal that goes between the radiator and cooler.
Does anybody have any other suggestions? The current price of the cooler is $2700.00 plus tax and hydraulic oil & filters. This is my 5th time changing it and it is getting really expensive and frustrating.

heymccall

So, no cooler part number and no serial number (at least the prefix). 2001 means nothing in the Cat world. If you wish us to help, both are needed.

A failure description beyond bottom right corner would help, too. Weld fracture, casting fracture, tube separation? Pics would be even better ;)

blanchb

I’m going to take off the cooler this weekend. I’ll get pictures and part numbers after I get it off. Serial number is 4ls00410.
The last 4 were rusted and had pin holes in the tubes.
I only put about 200 hours a year on my dozer. I mostly spread clay and topsoil for residential house pads and final grading after the house is Built. I also dig ponds and do some land clearing. But nothing that would be in considered a corrosive environment.

heymccall

March 29, 1999 was build date.

Cooler part number.... 116-6562
I find mention of issues, but I do see plenty aftermarket, some as low as $1500.
My dealer shows a cost of $2750 for original.

blanchb

March 29, 1999 was build date.

Cooler part number.... 116-6562
I find mention of issues, but I do see plenty aftermarket, some as low as $1500.
My dealer shows a cost of $2750 for original.
Wow! That was quick and good information. Thanks.
Where did you find an aftermarket one?

Welder Dave

Is the area where it's rusting prone to packing with dirt? I'm wondering if dirt could be getting soaked from rain or a possible pin hole from the rad. Maybe if you replace it again you could epoxy a wear plate on it or just a layer of epoxy that would add a little strength but prevent rust issues over time. The other thought is if something is rubbing on it or it's getting sandblasted from the fan. I noticed my rad. had some sandblasting from the fan when I took it out. A little bit of dirt gets on the hood or sucked in the side and finds its way into the engine compartment where the fan proceeds to blow it at the rad. with great velocity. Could your hyd. fluid have some water in it? It seems very strange. Maybe the hoses are hooked up backwards and it puts too much pressure on the section that is failing? I think I have a similar cooler on my 931B and never any issues with it other than having to replace 1 of the hoses going to it.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The last 4 were rusted and had pin holes in the tubes.
I only put about 200 hours a year on my dozer. I mostly spread clay and topsoil for residential house pads and final grading after the house is Built. I also dig ponds and do some land clearing. But nothing that would be in considered a corrosive environment.
Can you post some photos of the failed cooler once it is removed.?
A possible corrosive environment crossed my mind until your comment above.
Is anything else in the same area showing signs of corrosion.? The location in the radiator pack where that cooler is mounted is a trap for all sorts of nasty stuff and notoriously hard to keep clean. Photos of that area might also help.

blanchb

The cat dealer thinks it’s because of trapped dirt also. But with a round fan and a rectangular radiator, it does collect more dirt in the corners due to the fan air not really blowing hard in the corners.
Most of my jobs are in areas that don’t have running water and all of my other machines have a round fan and rectangle radiator and I don’t wash them out often.

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
But with a round fan and a rectangular radiator, it does collect more dirt in the corners due to the fan air not really blowing hard in the corners.
I know what you're saying, but until the manufacturers can come up with a circular radiator to match the profile of the fan it just means that more attention has to be paid to cleaning.

How often do you remove the front radiator guards, fan guards, and drop the belly pans to give the radiator package and the underneath a good cleaning.?

I'd still like to see some photos of what the area looked like when you pulled it apart.