• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D4G engine shutdown timer

Hello y’all

My first post but I’m a little lost now at what’s next

So I’m the sole mechanic for an excavation company and have 22yrs worth of debt for my box (that’s worth 10of my truck) lol

Our D4G had a mishap

Soooo needless to say I went out one chilly morning started it to let it warm up before I brought into the shop for service track adjustments etc etc it warmed up I went out went to throttle up to bring it in and POOF engine went full tilt no control smoke and smell of burning wires ugh lucky me.
so anyways after tearing into it I figure out the last one that was in it forgot the p-clamps for the throttle cables and left it hanging ontop of the main battery cable and engine management harness, and I was the lucky one who finally hit copper, I now have the following.

New electrical from nose to engine to ecu
New speed sensor
New throttle cables (both melted)
New start relay
New engine shutdown timer
New cab harness to dash
New starting solenoid and switches and brakers
Half a dozen sensors on engine

Here is where I got.

i can get it running under control from the cab without the power wire to the solenoid, but it’ll start but not shut off with the key and with it on it won’t start no fuel ugh now I’m checking for faults after deep research into that engine shutdown timer as I wanted to bypass it too and found that that timer works two fold.

One. It sends and keeps power for a few seconds to the fuel shut down solenoid to ensure engine shutdown

Two. It also PREVENTS starting when ecu discovers a fault that will cause damage to the machine or more then likely to.

I am leaning to a secondary short under cab on hydraulic system and telling the ecu to not start. I’ve ohmed out the entire engine side of the new harness and ecu and tested everything else

Do you have an electrical schematic.? If not a Serial Number gets you the correct one.

Also from a number of comments on HEF it would appear that those G tractors are really finicky regarding adequate alternator output voltage.
Thank you for the reply

Agreed they are and often times make electrical diagnostic twice as long over it,

Yes I have the electrical map for this machine was even able to print it on a blueprint and graphing printer (AMAZING TO BE ABLE TO DO THIS) my map is about 7ft long by 3ft wide nice and big