• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5B Ser# 22x00460 Steering issues lost right and left turn

Jim Duke

Customer has an old D5B that parked it for about 6 months then went to use it and it will not turn right or left, mind you this has the manual transmission hand clutch etc. He does not have access to his book right now, cause it got loaned out, I can’t believe there is another one of these within 300 miles of us but, I put a gauge on the top of the pressure filter housing, was about 215 cold and after running a couple minutes dropped to about 150 At WOT. Suspect a check valve or something hanging but don’t have a book to help me with this old beast. Looking for pressure and at what throttle setting and where to check it, also how to adjust the brakes, I know where but not sure how much to back off after tightening. Thanks for any help.

Dave Neubert

could be steering clutches froze up as they are dry clutches pull the inspection plates off at the back of machine have some one pull levers and see if the yoke is moving. I normally back off one turn but just adjust until you got about half of brake pedal

Jim Duke

could be steering clutches froze up as they are dry clutches pull the inspection plates off at the back of machine have some one pull levers and see if the yoke is moving. I normally back off one turn but just adjust until you got about half of brake pedal
Sorry about slow response, had to pull off it for a while, but Thanks for info, the yoke does move some but not see anything happening with clutches, I think the pump pressure is to low and not releasing them. Best I could figure after we got the book the pressure from the pump should be about 350 around 1800 rpm.