• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5g with no heat

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
buddy barry bought a d5g a year ago to going along with his john deere 650Gs known as the "lemon sisters". this cat has a cab but we don't use it because it has no heat. yes we will run cats with no cabs because they are warmer then a cat with cab that the heater doesn't work.
buddy barry says the dealer is suppose to be fixing the heater as part of buying the cat a year ago. since we are having a 2 day rain in the great white north, i got GEO Ron to run the d5g in to the shop and whipp the heater control things apart. well the temp knob has the cable thing broke off and the fan switch doesn't work.
since i'm the King of Obsolete and this is the first cat i have worked on with a cab and heater, i need some pointers.

the serial number of the machine is 5XK33044

thansk
KoO
Published Author

Bigstevex4

fix whats broke or the cheap fix is buy a seperate red dot heater mount it to the floor and bypass the cab heater. run the heater hoses to it and power.

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
oh my, someone mounted the heater under the seat in a very very tight area. GEO Ron has it all apart but can't find where the temp control cable goes. he still has no power power at the heater motor or the fancy switch, plus we have no book or anything on this. i told buddy barry to ripp off the cab and make it a true winter freighting cat. this cab with a heater sure is a lot of work.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

Attachments

• KINGDOM life july 15 2009 003.jpg
    KINGDOM life july 15 2009 003.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 1,434
  • KINGDOM life july 15 2009 004.jpg
    KINGDOM life july 15 2009 004.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 1,532

Cmark

Hey Koo. The heater valve should be in front of the heater, centre of the machine. Power for the blower comes from the HVAC fuse in the fuse panel to wire 124 green on the blower switch.

Hope this helps.

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
thansk guys, we played around and didn't really see anything. the cheapest and fast way to fix this would be to run a power wire to the switch then if that does work run wires from the switch to the fan motor.

what size of fuse do we need and what is the wiring of the switch (which is ground and the speeds??)

next is the round holes that have air filters on them but what joins them and stops outside cold air from entering the cab???

also never did find the cable that controls the temp, it goes down in front of the heater core. i told buddy barry it would be easier to remove the cab and work on the heater.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

Attachments

• d5g july 18 2009 001.jpg
    d5g july 18 2009 001.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 1,259
  • d5g july 18 2009 002.jpg
    d5g july 18 2009 002.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 1,288
  • d5g july 18 2009 003.jpg
    d5g july 18 2009 003.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 1,311

willd8r

Occupation
dozer operator Cat D11R
My little D3G has a tap on the engine that lets the hot water in

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
we can't find where the cable from the temp control (it is the cable that controls how much water is allowed at the heater) goes. when we get time, i think we willjust pop the cab off and get the heater fixed up right.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

Plowboyblake

King,
I have just bought a D5G Lgp just like barry's. Mine is an 04 with 4800 hrs on it. Any problems other than the heater that I should know about??? I have a brand new berco undercarriage on it, pads, rollers, and all....Let me know...thanks

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
congrads on the new machine but buddy barry has more money then brains. yes he bought this machine a year ago and only put maybe 40 hours on it. there is no work up here and he has the 2 john deere 650G known as the "lemon sisters" that get more hours because they are old machines. buddy barry wants the d5g to stay shiney and new i guess, LOL.

we will get back to the heater one of these days, been busy doing everything else.

thansk
KoO
Published Author

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
well buddy barry was not happy today when he arrived back at the shop. GEO Ron and i removed the cab from the d5g to chase down the heater temp control thing. yes it is on the bottom of the heater and the fun we had. good thing buddy barry has a cat forklift and a pit in the shop to make working on the cat easy.

we also found the test lines had rubbed on the heat so good thing we did remove the cab.

is there a parts book on line for this machine so i can order the correct parts???

thansk
KoO
Published Author

Attachments

• mid north  aug 11 2009 009.jpg
    mid north aug 11 2009 009.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 904
  • mid north  aug 11 2009 012.jpg
    mid north aug 11 2009 012.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 878
  • mid north  aug 11 2009 013.jpg
    mid north aug 11 2009 013.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 876
  • mid north  aug 11 2009 014.jpg
    mid north aug 11 2009 014.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 846

Diagonal Brace

King the easiest way is to go Toromont Cat's Website and sign up for Parts store. Once your permitted you can look up any cat part from serial number prefix. It can also tell you price and avaliability. Saves talking to the parts guy and can be accessed 24/7 including ordering parts.