• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5M service codes

moss

Hello all,

I am after some help with a D5M XL,the dash warning for battery, transmission and sometimes fuel, lights up and the warning buzzer goes off after start up.
The unit still moves in all directions ,steers and functions as normal.

I toggled into the service code section on dash between RPM and Hours and have written a sequence of codes that appear in order.

271F05
298F02
368F02
621F02
END

I am hoping that someone out there has knowledge of where to start.

The machine was fine in the past but has recently been washed for quarantine to enter the country so has has alot of water sprayed into all the nooks and crannies.
I have let it all dry out for a number of days and pulled apart many but probably not all connectors and sprayed them with WD40.
I'm at a loss of where to start and any help would be great.

Thanks from the land of smiles.
Moss

moss

Hi all ,

Found the codes online so all good.

Turns out to be

Action alarm
Service brake pedal switch
Transmission Auto/Manual switch
Downshift switch

As I said the machine have alot of water through it for quarantine and was probably run while wet,so my guess is the faults occurred then.
Everything seems to function correctly so I will put on the service tool and delete the codes.

Thanks
Moss

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The M series Cat dozers had plenty of problems with fault codes. Wiring harness connectors, speed and temperature sensors and action switches gave a ton of problems. When a code number is flashing in the display it is active and you might be able to run and then again you might not. The codes you are showing indicate that the problems are for switches you probably can get access to. It is the speed sensors on the transmission that can give you the most head aches.

Good Luck

nukem1

I agree woth John C. As to the trans speed sensors being the biggest PITA. If you have a schematic or the ability to locate one (I do not, sorry) I would bet that all or most of these share a common ground wire if you follow the splices. If you continue to have issues, start at the common ground. Good luck.

moss

Thanks John and Nukem,

I will return to our main workshop and see if we got schematics for wiring when I pick up test tool.
So all will checked.

The machine is parked up for now so that no damage is caused while the fault is checked.

John could you explain where the speed sensors are located so that I can take a quick look as all these faults seem to come back to a trans related problem.

Thanks for your help guys.
Moss

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
As I recall there is are two, input and output. I haven't been involved on one of those yet but it is my understanding that the transmission has to be pulled to replace those.

taylor

I know this is an old thread but I'll throw this out. if the alternator isn't charging right or the batteries are low it will throw all kinds of stuff too.