• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D5N xl blade mount repair

Ted Allen

D5N XL ser # AGGO1698

I have ordered an M30-3.5 all thread and nuts to pull the main pin of my blade. Looked at a video of pulling one with two hydraulic jacks set on steel plate and a pulling plate for the all thread to go thru. Just wondering if a heavy piece of pipe with a plate on top with a hole for all thread and tightening up on the nuts which would pull up on the all thread would provide enough pull to remove the pin?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I would suspect that the all-thread will break (or at best tear the threads off) if the pin is anywhere near being tight - and most are more than tight…. The usual procedure is a high-strength puller rod coupled with a hollow hydraulic cylinder. I posted some photos of it somewhere. Even with the type of setup you mention using a plate and two cylinders the weight on the threads is not as great as it would be if you were turning the nuts.

nowing75

Nige is correct a bout the all thread. Needs to be designed for pulling. You can get from cat or mcmaster carr. And put a chain on the puller as the last 6n i did took all of 60 ton and jumped when it let go.

Nige

the last 6n i did took all of 60 ton and jumped when it let go.
That's why I think trying to remove the pin simply by tightening the nuts on the all-thread ain't gonna work.......
The procedure in the service manual calls for a 50-ton hollow cylinder to be used to pull that pin. If the pin has never been out before it will probably be what we referred to as "German Tight" aka Gutentight.....

See this thread. We've been here before but on a 5M on that occasion. Pay particular attention to Post #20 on Page 1 by @ih100
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/d5m-blade-pivot.34295/#post-409564

Ted Allen

I can buy a 60 ton hollow cylinder for about 250 dollars and a 2 stage 10000 psi electric pump for about 500 on ebay or amazon. I dont know much about hydraulics...would a cheap pump like this provide enough power to operate a cylinder like this? It doesnt say HP rating of motor only that its 750 watts. I can use this rig for other projects also and I suspect my local cat mechanic to come out to remove and then again to press back in would be more that this cost.

Tugger2

Ive run my porto power cylinders for years with an Enerpac hand pump . The biggest i have is a 60 ton hollow head and it works just fine . No cords ,no bulky pump n tank. I did pick up an air pump with 4 25 ton 12" stroke cylinders from an estate sale,but the hand pump is my go to for most jobs.

Nige

Ive run my porto power cylinders for years with an Enerpac hand pump. The biggest i have is a 60 ton hollow head and it works just fine . No cords, no bulky pump n tank.
I agree. For the distance that pin has to move a hand pump would do the job just fine IMO.

EDIT: but if you use a length of all-thread with a 60-ton hollow cylinder it will almost certainly break. You need a purpose-designed puller stud and the longer-than-standard nuts to go with it.

Last edited:

Ted Allen

Bought a cheap 60 ton hollow cylinder, used enerpack handpump and the cat puller tool. top pin pulled with about 8000psi. Bottom pin was tougher! Went beyond 10000psi before it popped! I had a 10 ft hose on the pump so I was able to hide down behind the tracks. Pulled hard all the way. Now waiting on parts to rebuild all the mounts and cylinders. The rig worked very well for pulling these pins! I have about 800 dollars in the tooling and can now sell after Im done. Cat estimated 800 just to pull the pins.

Attachments

• 20230407_123937.jpg
    20230407_123937.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 12

Ted Allen

Yeah, now I have a nice 36 inch all thread unused after your warning! I will have to rig a shackle to press new pins back in place, maybe I can use it and the cat pulling tool to rig that!