• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6 9u The Hood In The Shop

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
well i have decided to put the new seals in the steering clutch area and fix up the tracks and front idler. so i removed the 2 pads where the master link is and went driving until they were even. drove THE HOOD in to the shop and popped the master pin. of course my little shop is too short, oh well, LOL.

we are even going to replace the wooden top roll. the old one will heat the shop a couple of hours, LOL

on the steering clutches, how many inches of discs and plates do i need. we went thru this last year but i forgot. the joys of getting old, LOL

also this cat was under water for 3 years.

http://kingofobsolete.ca/d6_9u_the_hood_webpage.htm

thansk

Last edited:

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Wooden top roll???

Is this a true story, that you're actually able to BURN your used rolls off this machine? Please elaborate...:confused:

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
If you look at the top picture he has a wooden guide there instead of rollers.
I think its pretty ingenius. :thumbsup

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
thansk, lowboy we run wooden top rollers on the winter freighting cats, that is what makes them so much different then a southern cat.

also we put anything in the wood stove that will fit thru the door. we must stay warm in the great white north, LOL

countryboy, thansk for pointing it out. here is the story behind wooden top rollers.

http://kingofobsolete.ca/Newsletter16.htm

the BISMARK is the brother to the THE HOOD. they both sunk together and spent 3 years in a watery grave.

my cats are known are HE and sleighs are SHE, LOL

thansk

Jeff D.

King of Obsolet, I was told that running a dozer in snow actually will wear out the tracks faster than running it in dirt. Something about snow doesn't lubricate the tracks as well. I wondered if that was true. Have you noticed any differences yourself with your equipment?

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
jeff d, snow is easier on your equipmet if you have the holes in the pads. in snow you run the tracks loose and the snow lubrates lots. an undercarriage that is woren out in dirt standards will give you lots of life in snow.

hope that helps. my cats don't turn a track in the summer. work is there but the cost of making a winter freighting cat work 3 month in hot, where does not out weight the cost of conversion. most old timer freighters had one cat out of 8 that would work in the summer. the other cats waited till the first snow fly to work,. the are special cats for freighting.

thansk

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
It's a little bit off on a tangent, but I've heard that cats that work in coal all the time get really long undercarriage life as well. It has to do with the fact that the coal dust acts a lot like graphite lube.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
A recent article in one of our civil contracting mags showed how a company in New Zealand used to just jam a pinus radiata (better known as pinus crapus here) in for a top roller on their tracked equipment.

Wulf

It's a little bit off on a tangent, but I've heard that cats that work in coal all the time get really long undercarriage life as well. It has to do with the fact that the coal dust acts a lot like graphite lube.

Yes digger I would agree that dozers achieve good undercarriage life working in coal, its low impact, low abrasion and you are probably right about coal having lubricating properties. Its important though to have relief holes in the centre of the track shoes to reduce packing and you have to watch track tension... same with snow, I've known small dozers and excavators become so packed with snow between the sprocket and bushing that the machine quits driving. Shoe relief holes will help but some manufacturers have snow sprockets with relieved profiles.

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
yes the snow will pack in there and stop the tracks dead or break something. wet snow is the worst, and when you are on the ice and come across water between the ice and snow, then the tracks start snapping trying to get rid of the snow through the holes in the pads.

thansk

greywynd

King, What's the plan for the Hood this round? Obviously you've got it running, and are putting wood back on top so you're planning on using it for freighting? Are you getting more calls for freighting then?

Mark

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
thansk, THE HOOD might get some freighting in this winter but it is hard to say. we still have way too much open water up here. nothing is freezing.

all my cats have windshield and they are handy for pulling the steering clutches. only in the KINGDOM, LOL

thansk

Last edited:

greywynd

Well at least there's snow for you, so much mud here right now that I have soft spots showing up like would happen during the spring thaw......would be the summer cats going here for sure. The lakes are completely open, I've never seen that before here. (Guys are actually using boats to go fishing rather than the ice huts normally in use.)

From your comment, sounds like you have freighting trips to do if weather co-operates? Are these supply trips to lodges, or mining stuff? Any of the diamond stuff coming through your neighbourhood?

Mark

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
If you look at the top picture he has a wooden guide there instead of rollers.
I think its pretty ingenius. :thumbsup

Not that I'm ingenious by any stretch of the imagination, but that's something I would do as well. Not for any other reason here other than economics, or the lack thereof...I was just yanking King's chain (no pun intended,) about the burning of the rolls.:wink2 I fully understand how valuable energy sources even here in the Green Mtns. are. We have burnt things that we shouldn't discuss to keep warm.:nono That's why we build our stoves out of old oil tanks and stuff, just in case someone throws something in there that doesn't belong...like empty ether cans.LOL

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
thansk guys, she turned cold up here in the great white north, woke up to -32C but feels like -44C. WOW EH!!!!! so it is burn anything in the wood stove to stay warm and work on the THE HOOD. pallets, shingles and used oil sure makes a nice heat, the dogs love lying around the wood stove, LOL.
i had help from old magnet on the ACMOC BB and we got the steering clutches figured out. i took apart about 8 hubs to find enough good discs that can be used. if i ordered from general gear, it would be $3000.00 cdn money for all the parts i need. that is more then what the cat is worth, LOL so today i reassembled 2 steering clutch hubs with the best of the best parts. note i whipped up a high tech press thingy.

thansk

Last edited:

DigDug

nice job KoO . It wont take to many more days like today , with the D.E.P breathing down my neck about erosion control. And the neighbors that cant mind there own damn business before i head up to live in your country. Keep up the good work. I follow your stories on shop talk and other places including here. doug

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
thansk, the way it is going you will need a permit to FART. the rules and regs are costing us big time money and who is paying. government contracts are nickeled and dimed to death, plus all the forms needed. it is getting bad.
that is why i like the great white north, if i don't want to see anyone or be bothered by anyone i jsut don't leave the KINGDOM. lots of good people on the internet.
ok, i'll get off the soap box now, LOL

thansk

King of Obsolete

Occupation
marketing my life style
:wink2 the KING got luckly today, big time, LOL. i was changing the seals on where the shaft goes through the crown gear and found a toasted bearing. of cousre it is the hard one that you can't see behind the crown gear. so i worked my magic with the torch and it popped off with a couple of taps.(remember i can only see about 1/4 of an inch of this bearing) i was so lucky that the torch never even came close to the shaft. then i used my GREAT WHITE NORTH power pack and pressed on a new old stock bearing on.
it was a good day in the KINGDOM and only -35C.

thansk

Attachments

• canadian%20turkeym.JPG
    canadian%20turkeym.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 449
Last edited: