• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6 9u

Peter Kennedy

Occupation
coal miner
Can anyone tell me how much and what grade of oil I will need to do an oil change in the gearbox and final drives in this old girl ??? I found traces of water in the oils and need to do this oilchange pronto !!
Thanks
Pete

surfer-joe

Use a transmission/drive train spec oil in 30wt. You might want to flush the housing with a bit of hydraulic oil and #2 diesel first, and don't forget to clean out the magnets, if they are still in place. The finals you will fill to the edge of the filler holes. The tranny will have a dip stick, or should. If it's hot most of the time you operate this Cat, you might want to consider a 40wt oil instead of the 30wt. Oh yes, check for anything that may be loose or worn enough to allow water to seep in the housings.

Good Luck!

You can buy a D6 9U service manual as follows, from your local Cat house.

Media: SEBU6555

Media Title: D6 Tractor - Operation & Maintenance Manual

Language: English

Product Family: TRACK-TYPE TRACTORS

Model Number: D6

Serial Number: 8U1-Up, 9U1-Up

Media Types: Id Type Price Weight
SEBU6555BOOK BOOK $39.00 0.545

Peter Kennedy

Occupation
coal miner
Thanks for your advise so far fellas !!. I am going to use 85/140 in both gerabox and final drives. I will use some diesel fuel to flush out the crappy oil first tho. This old girl had been bogged in a dam for a few days and took in some water before my old mate bought her. She needs some TLC to get her back to order again .
Does anyone know how much oil I will need ???

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I'm going to disagree here. The former recommendations of hypoid gear oil for transmission and final drives have been superceded by TO-2/TO-4 specification power train oils. Those recommendations are backward-compatible to older machines, although the paper manuals from that time will not say so.

SAE30 TO-4 speciifcation oil is the replacement for 80W/90.
SAE50 TO-4 specification oil is the replacement for 85W/140.

Believe it or not the viscosity of an 80W/90 gear oil is the approximately same as an SAE30, although at first glance you would not imagine that's the case. See the chart in this link.

http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/mediendb.nsf/gfx/7B0498A05B66E5E1C12573B000545988/$file/TI%20viscosity%20ISO%20vs%20SAE.pdf

Last edited:

Old Magnet

Yes, I'm aware of the current specs but it's easier for us old farts to think in terms of the old gear oil ratings. Here is a chart that is a little easier to use:

Attachments

• Viscosity-Chart-(copy).jpg
    Viscosity-Chart-(copy).jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,221