• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6c 10k 11130

J Pippin

My D6C dozer gets hard to steer after about an hour of working the engine doesn’t overheat but the torque converter starts to get close to the yellow on the gage can anyone tell me what I need to check or what the problem might be. This is a 1975 model.

Thanks for any help
Jim

Vetech63

Start off with cleaning the steering pump suction screen and replacing the filter. Does the oil look like it has water in it?
Close to the yellow on the gauge is not in the danger zone. Will it overheat if you continue to run it? Have you checked the coolant level in the radiator?

J Pippin

Start off with cleaning the steering pump suction screen and replacing the filter. Does the oil look like it has water in it?
Close to the yellow on the gauge is not in the danger zone. Will it overheat if you continue to run it? Have you checked the coolant level in the radiator?
The oil looks good and the coolant is full I think if I continued to run it it would keep climbing my converter gauge only has green and yellow on it and the yellow area isn’t very much and then it will be pegged out. I will try cleaning the screen and changing the filter.
Thanks for your help I appreciate it .

J Pippin

I have cleaned the magnetic screen and replaced all O rings and hose couplers between the gear case and the transmission pump the filter was clean. Checked the pump pressure is 120 psi. At low idle speed clutch is 140 psi and directional clutch is 200 psi. Could all of this be from a bad pump ?

Old Cats 71

Hi , I’m also having a steering issue with a D6C 10K power shift will not steer either direction.. Puller the magnetic strainer out & it had like sludge in it … the transmission oil looks clean on the stick … Where is the steering screen located? I was going to pull the converter suction screen & clean @ the bottom of the transmission… I had watched a video on YouTube that said to remove the cover at the back of the machine where the pinion is located in the center & see if it’s bypassing oil there because if it is means that the side seals on the steering clutches are bad .. Had oil coming out of the weep hole at the top when the steering clutch handle is pulled ..

Dave Neubert

your transmission and steering is the same pump there are 2 1/8 pipe plugs in the steering valve check for pressure there also check your main pump pressure you can check this from a plug on top of the transmission filter

Old Cats 71

Hi, thanks for the information, where is the transmission filter on the left side up towards the front of the engine , if it is there is no pipe plugs on it … Removed the screen from the bottom of the bell housing & cleaned..

Old Cats 71

Where is the steering pump suction screen ? Thanks

Dave Neubert

Hi, thanks for the information, where is the transmission filter on the left side up towards the front of the engine , if it is there is no pipe plugs on it … Removed the screen from the bottom of the bell housing & cleaned..
should be a11/16 hex head on the top