• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6c cat loss of oil pressure

Steve.ahlgren85

I am going to try resetting the fuel pump timing. IT starts fine,runs but is misfiring on one cylinder.,tired exchanging injector nozzles #1and#6,No change, still is misfiring, took off the valve cover, reset intake valve setting, they were all a little tight. The engine starts fine ,runs ,but smokes more than what it should, back the throttle off and the engine shuts off. I might have to do what I have been avoiding all this time, take it to Ziegler caterpillar and let them figure it out. I will recheck the fuel pump timing first. This week was a bad one, my brother who farms with me and another brother, was killed when his Honda 4 wheeler hit a washout he didn't see and rolled over, pinning him under. I only mention this to warn others about the dangers of using these machines. Be very careful!

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Sorry to hear that, lost my brother the same way.

As far as the dozer goes I think there's more to the issue than timing. Only one cylinder being affected kind of eliminates that. Could have a pump issue, maybe a bad line from pump to nozzle, several things it could be.

Smokes more than it should? Black? Gray? White?

Any chance of a video so we can help diagnose?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Sorry to hear on the brother, four wheelers have their place yet can be a problem. As to the machine, grey smoke indicates fuel burned offtime, white unburned fuel and black excessive burning fuel.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
You say it is misfiring on one cylinder, do you know which one? Or are you just just guessing based on the sound?

As Junkyard says timing problem would not cause one cylinder to misfire! You say you swapped #1 and #6 nozzles, why those two? Have you tried cracking open one line at a time on the pump to try to determine which cylinder might be misfiring?

Steve.ahlgren85

I disconnect the fuel line at the injector while running the engine. The engine runs normal on all cylinders except #6.No drop on rpm on the other cylinders that I can see. Fuel is coming through the fuel line, good flow. No particular reason for swapping #1and #6,just the most convenient.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
Sorry for your loss Steve. We had the same thing happen to a county commissioner a few years ago. I bought a Honda rancher a couple years ago to check cows with and get to places the mule won't go. Really didn't think I would use it much but when I looked yesterday it had 2,005 miles on it. Definitely more dangerous than a mule or ranger but hard to get by without one. I had a cow knock me off it last year so I take it a little easier on it now.

You will get the dozer figured out. Sure be nice if y'all had an Equipment mechanic that did side jobs like Junkyard or pumpguysc that could come look at it for a few hours. Around here dealerships are too high to call out.

Steve.ahlgren85

Thanks for your concern. IT wasn't a great week for all of the family last week. I will post a video of the machine running sometime this week .other than that, I am stumped on this machine IT starts good, runs, but is missing firing on one cylinder, after running it for awhile, warming the engine, try to idle it down,it shuts itself off.Like I said, I am stumped!!

Tinkerer

Steve ; I am really sorry about your brother's tragic accident.
I ran three different D6C's that had engines die after cutting the throttle back from wide open to half or less. I actually had to use ether very carefully to get them running again. The mechanics did everything to get a good flow of clean the fuel to the ip and to no avail. After they worked on the first one they determined it was an injector pump problem. It was sent to Patton tractor and came back, was reinstalled and the darn thing ran like new ! When the same symptoms appeared in the second, a different one several months later they simply came and checked the fuel flow to the ip, and again sent the pump to Patton. Third dozer was a repeat of the first two. So even though a pump has supposedly been repaired that doesn't mean it isn't malfunctioning again.

Steve.ahlgren85

Thanks so much
The fuel pump is a transplant from the original machine, it was working properly when I started to have all the problems with the oil pump going bad and ultimately destroyed the engine, not saying that something couldn't have gotten out of adjustment in the transfer. Just don't think that it is likely, being it was working properly before.Video might help diagnose. Thanks again!

Hobbytime

Thanks so much
The fuel pump is a transplant from the original machine, it was working properly when I started to have all the problems with the oil pump going bad and ultimately destroyed the engine, not saying that something couldn't have gotten out of adjustment in the transfer. Just don't think that it is likely, being it was working properly before.Video might help diagnose. Thanks again!
First, sorry to hear about your brother, its never good to lose someone, I have had a few people I know decease in that way,always keep his memory in your mind and no matter how bad things get during the day or on a project, this will keep it in perspective..........one would think it should work because it did before, all it takes is one little piece if dirt clogging a hole or passageway after you took off and reinstalled it...many times just moving something around stirs up something that causes trouble..dont overlook anything....but you just got good advice on how 3 dozers didnt work and the fuel pump was the issue on all 3 and you quickly dismissed it..so how long and how much would it be to pull the pump and send it out to get tested or rebuilt? Im not bashing you, but you have gotten really good advice that if you had to pay would cost you some $$$, and its not what you want to hear so you keep asking or looking for other issues...reminds me of a friend I had, he would ask 50 people till he got the answer he wanted and dismiss the other 49 people that said the same thing but not what he wanted to hear...and for the people giving the advice its almost like a slap in their face..just my opinion..if I dont know I will listen hard to those that most likley have the knowledge to help you out and get your dozer running again..

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
I disconnect the fuel line at the injector while running the engine. The engine runs normal on all cylinders except #6.No drop on rpm on the other cylinders that I can see. Fuel is coming through the fuel line, good flow. No particular reason for swapping #1and #6,just the most convenient.

Hi Steve,
I must be reading this post wrong, to me this says when you crack open each injector in turn, you hear no drop in RPM on cylinders 1-5 when opening each line in turn? "No drop on rpm on the other cylinders that I can see." Cheers.

Last edited:

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I believe he is stating runs normal on the other five when not dropping them, number 6 makes no difference fuel or not.

If it has fuel delivery and not doing anything then the cylinder either has not enough compression or the injection pump is not sending enough pressure. Being as this pump came off the original dropped dead engine could be material made it to the pump or the starvation of oil affected the pump as well as these do have camshafts in them.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
My gut instinct is the pump needs a little love. The more random the symptoms the more I look at the pump. The kicker for me is the machine shutting down when throttled back. If'n I were a bettin man I'd say #6 plunger and/or barrel is fubar'd. Even the cam lobe as Mr Miller suggested. Or all 3!

I was up not terribly far from him a few weeks ago when I was doing my best to outfish OIH!

(Can't be done by the way :-D)

Tinkerer

Oh, I forgot to mention that as soon as those engines started to die (losing RPMs) I could yank the throttle back (wide open) and it just quit running. Do a compression test on that thing and if all is well there, then send the ip to a REAL injector pump pro PUMPGUYSC.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Sitting here over 1,000 miles away it is very difficult to try to diagnosis this kind of problem!

If we are to assume the problem is in fact with number six cylinder and swapping the nozzles between number one and six did not change the problem I can only see two possibilities.

First being a problem in the fuel injector pump causing improper fuel delivery to the nozzle. That could be either a problem with the plunger/barrel assembly or the cam shaft that operates it.

Did some more digging and if I am seeing things in SIS correctly this looks like a sleeve metering pump, not sure if that was determined before. That may only make a minor change in what the problem might be. But no way I would feel comfortable trying to explain anything about one of those as I only had to work on one and that was a 3208, got it to run fine without a book or pulling pump but that was years ago.

If it is proven that the pump is NOT the problem then the problem would seem to be in the cylinder and anything directly related to it. Like piston, valves, cam, lifters and rocker arms. I might lean towards finding someone who could do at least a quick compression test to prove most of those things are functioning proper. Even before doing that it might tell you something to just compare the movement of the valves and rocker arms to say those on number five cylinder.

Sad thing is there are several people here who if they could see and touch this engine in person it would have be back to work months ago.