• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6D sprocket, track frame alignment question.

.RC.

On one side the sprocket is not running in the centre of the track frame. It is out from the machine by about half an inch. On the diagonal brace it is also about this much out. Not sure why the alignment is out by such a large amount.

The service manual says to remove shims to bring the track frame closer to the tractor. The shims are behind the retainer.

Does the track frame have to be lifted free of the dead axle to remove the retainer and bearing to then be able to remove the shims that are supposed to be there? The service manual is pretty vague.

20200516_124839.jpg

.RC.

A bit of an update. I found this thread https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/d6d-track-frame-alignment.68653/

With a similar problem and no answer.

I did some measuring and part #12 in the below picture is out about 8mm more then it is on the other side. It also is of a newer paint scheme then the other parts. It has been replaced. So I surmise the part could be aftermarket and made to the wrong dimensions. The sprocket has no sideways play and it does not leak oil. Without pulling it out something I am not keen on doing I can only determine that is the problem, maybe along with some other tolerance stacking due to it being an older machine. Like sprocket pressed on slightly more then new due to wear.

Another thought is the part in the below picture with the bearing on it has not been screwed up properly, it could also affect positioning of #12.

20200516_212652.jpg

Last edited:

Bluox

The shims are under the outer nut #3 the one under the outer cover. There should be a explanation under power train specs. alignment of track frame.
Bob

Reactions: DB2

dozr

Occupation
excaving
on old 9u 6b and old 6b we have had to cut end of frame under tractor and put back because of streach if you do not have things wore on out side all you can do is line spocket with ideler and if shims on idler and no were in back that is what we done to make it right just metal

.RC.

Thanks, I had a further look in the service manual and see the shims are under the retainer, under the nut.

In any case I have measured this and that and come to the conclusion the 1/4" it is out is more then likely due to a used machine with aftermarket parts mixed with wear and so on. I have come across aftermarket parts that seem to have different dimensions to genuine parts. I have checked the sprocket for bearing looseness and it it all good. The track frames measure up as being quite parallel, which I did find surprising given the amount of repairs made to the diagonal brace. I expected at least an inch splay at the front.