• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6K Extreme Low Temperature Operation

ih100

Can any of you Northerners tell me how you prepare a D6K for work in temperatures down to -30 Centigrade? Does normal Hydo work okay in the hystat/implement system? I'm curious since seeing various programmes (Ice Road Truckers, Megastructures, etc.) showing Cat hystat dozers and tracked loaders working in those kinds od temperatures and lower. The coldest I've operated in was snow clearing one night where the temperature got down to -8 Centigrade.

dsichewski

you maybe need to get into the artic oil if getting in those temps....best to talk to a cat dealer as they will know what oil is best for which operating situation.

How do you like operating the d6k? we only had one or two that came through the shop when I worked for Toromont(Cat dealer in Canada)...It had a few problems at the start...

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Never worked that far north but I know there are different seals for the undercarriage idlers and rollers. I've worked on a couple of insurance claims that were fires on excavators and I'm told the hydraulic fluid they use is more like lighter fluid than hydraulic oil. I know for a fact that it burns hot even at minus thirty degrees as I've personally viewed the aftermath.

Vantage_TeS

Occupation
HE Operator. Surprise?
Same deal as motor oil. As it gets colder you switch to something lighter so it doesn't take as long to thin out.

When it gets really cold you don't turn anything off. Everything runs 24/7 or you'll be there forever trying to thaw and restart it. The only time you shut equipment off is if it's in a shop, plugged into a gen set (most places run a get set to a block heater and then have quick disconnects that circulate warm coolant as well) or it's critically broken. In that case go back and see step one =p

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
the heck with the machine,.....what would be SOP for preparing a man to work at -30 :eek:......my guess would be piles and piles of cash held by the dallas cowboy's cheerleader's taunting him...and even then i would have to think long and hard.

you northern boys are crazy lol

Pj

tripper_174

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer
I've operated dozers, hoes, graders on winter roads in Northern Manitoba and the NWT. It's handy to have one of these or something similar. There are several manufacturers.

http://www.enviroharvest.ca/block_heater.htm

Secondly, Arctic oils are a must. It's amazing what a difference these make. Not much else is different than anywhere else. Can't say that I've ever seen different roller seals, etc. on any tractors I ever saw but could be. Never had any issues with roller, idlers, etc. other than normal wear and tear. Take care of yourself too and get good outdoor gear. I've seen more than one guy driving a truck on the winter roads wearing cowboy boots and a jean jacket. Heaven help him if he has troubles.

tripper_174

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer
Actually, your best source of information is probably the King of Obsolete who often posts here in the forum. He seems to be able to keep anything running regardless of age or type. He lives in the north whereas most of us are tourists! Contact him, I'm sure he'll have some great pointers.

swampdog

I run HYDO in my Cat hydraulics, but don't use it much in the winter. When it's cold, the hydraulic pump howls until the oil warms up a bit. Personally, I don't like to do that to a pump that I might have to pay to fix.

You might want to ask Cat if they make a synthetic equivalent to HYDO. They have a help line with "experts" waiting for your call. If going to non-Cat oils, be careful to make sure that they meet Cat specs. You also might want to post this question in the Lubricants section of this forum; some lubricants experts hang out there.

dadfinger

Last post to ask my first question as a new owner of an older dozer, sorry for hijacking your thread. I live in Mn and have heard that transmision fluid works well in colder weather, not to sure about this 100% though.

grandpa

dadfinger

I USE 10 weight motot in my cat transmissions for the winter here in northern minnesota. has worked for me for 50 years, hows that for a test period!