• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D6K System One Undercarriage

PWR

Occupation
Land Improvement Contractor
Has anyone come up with a solution for worn out system undercarriage on a D6K LGP? It is my understanding that the System One undercarriage on a D6K2 can be converted to a heavy duty track system. Our undercarriage failed at 2000 hours. Pins started leaking. Cat covered it under warranty. We had to pay about $3000.00 for new rails. We now have 5000 hours on the machine, 2000 hours on the rails and the system one rails are junk. Cat will not warranty again because it is past 4 years. There are no aftermarket rails that will work with the Cat system on the D6K. I was just wondering if anyone had come up with a solution? As far as I can tell the only solution is to go back with System One rails which in my opinion are not worth the money. Period.

1466IH

I know on the 963C's and D's you can switch over to SALT rail but it requires replacing all U/C components (segments, rollers, idlers, rails) also sometimes requires modification to track guards.

big ben

System One is discontinued. It is now Cat Abrasion. I can not speak for it one way or another but Cat claims to have finally fixed all the issues associated with System One and claim it outperformed System One in all testing in all conditions.

It will have the same 4 yr/6000hr warranty. Ask your dealer for details and pricing.

nicky 68a

Here in the UK,many are converting their D6’s back to conventional u/c.
It doesn’t seem a big job,but all parts need replacing.
I’m not sure about the bottom rollers though ?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Cat said the same thing when they came out with System One. Outperforms standard undercarriage in all testing and all conditions. The warranty was a con job as well.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
It is my understanding that the System One undercarriage on a D6K2 can be converted to a heavy duty track system.
To answer that question would require the machine Serial Number. Certain D6K machines can be converted to HD undercarriage relatively easily, others cannot.
I'm confused in as much as you mention both "D6K" and "D6K2"in your text, hence the request for a S/N.

PWR

Occupation
To answer that question would require the machine Serial Number. Certain D6K machines can be converted to HD undercarriage relatively easily, others cannot.
I'm confused in as much as you mention both "D6K" and "D6K2"in your text, hence the request for a S/N.

Nige the serial number is DHA01826. Cat dealer and aftermarket seller both say it can not economically be changed on this tractor from System One back to standard undercarriage. I mentioned the D6K2 because it is my understanding that the K2 is the model that can be converted. We have 5000 hours on the dozer and this will be the second set of undercarriage that has less that 2500 hours on it. So much for Cat's 6000 hour warranty. Unfortunately for us the last change was over 4 years ago so it is out of warranty. The tractor has not been worked in any severe conditions. We had the present rails put on in 2015 under the warranty.
Hope all is going well with you.

PWR

Occupation
Cat said the same thing when they came out with System One. Outperforms standard undercarriage in all testing and all conditions. The warranty was a con job as well.
It is a large con job. I cannot believe Cat has let this go on for so long. This is the second set of rails on this machine. No operation in severe conditions. Mostly light finishing work. If this is a common occurrence Cat should have discontinued System One long ago!

PWR

Occupation
System One is discontinued. It is now Cat Abrasion. I can not speak for it one way or another but Cat claims to have finally fixed all the issues associated with System One and claim it outperformed System One in all testing in all conditions.

It will have the same 4 yr/6000hr warranty. Ask your dealer for details and pricing.

Big Ben this is the second set of System One undercarriage for this machine. Neither one went over 2500 hours. According to Cat when we put this second set on all the problems with System One had been solved and worked out. Unfortunately that was over 4 years ago and not the case. We have 2000 hours on this set but over more than 4 years. We are stuck. Have run nothing but Cat for 45 years. This does not make me happy.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
serial number is DHA01826
That's why I asked for a S/N.

The machines that can be converted are as follows: -
D6K (S/N: 7P61-UP; DHA2033,2035-2038,2040-2098,2100,2102-2106,2108-2155,2158-2234,2236-2278,2280-2381,2384-UP; ZLJ1-UP)
D6K2 (S/N: EL71-UP; JTR1-UP; RST1-UP)

The Special Instruction for conversion of S1 to HD undercarriage does not apply to your DHA-prefix machine S/N under 2000. This is something to do with the track frames on earlier models that only had 7 track rollers. The later frames had 8 rollers.

I seem to recall someone posting on HEF a while ago showing a D6K with 7-roller frames that had been converted to HD, but not by a dealer.

Are there any breakers in your area dismantling D6K machines that might have HD undercarriage.? alater-generation track frame might be what you are looking for.

Last edited:

Master Link

Occupation
Heavy Equipment repair
Based on the info from Cat in Nige's post if your roller frame uses 8 rollers it can be converted. I'll have to look tomorrow when I get back to work for the document.

When Cat came out with the D6K2 they must have realize what a screw up they made on the original D6K and changed the roller frames to use either the HD or System One rollers. They have the same bolt hole pattern. On the D6K the roller was a one of a kind and there was no interchange between any other roller.

Reactions: DB2

PWR

Occupation

D6K (S/N: 7P61-UP; DHA2033,2035-2038,2040-2098,2100,2102-2106,2108-2155,2158-2234,2236-2278,2280-2381,2384-UP; ZLJ1-UP)

The Special Instruction for conversion of S1 to HD undercarriage does not apply to your DHA-prefix machine S/N under 2000. This is something to do with the track frames on earlier models that only had 7 track rollers. The later frames had 8 rollers.

I seem to recall someone posting on HEF a while ago showing a D6K with 7-roller frames that had been converted to HD, but not by a dealer.

Are there any breakers in your area dismantling D6K machines that might have HD undercarriage.? alater-generation track frame might be what you are looking for.

Do you have any kind of number for the frame I would need? May just have to go back with system one, work it a while and sell it. Thanks for the info.

PWR

Occupation
Based on the info from Cat in Nige's post if your roller frame uses 8 rollers it can be converted. I'll have to look tomorrow when I get back to work for the document.

When Cat came out with the D6K2 they must have realize what a screw up they made on the original D6K and changed the roller frames to use either the HD or System One rollers. They have the same bolt hole pattern. On the D6K the roller was a one of a kind and there was no interchange between any other roller.

Looks like we are out of luck. Just stuck with lemon.

Master Link

Occupation
Heavy Equipment repair
The D6K2 has the option of System 1 or Heavy Duty. The HD undercarriage is the same that is on the D5H or D6N conventional undercarriage. From what I find the bolt hole pattern on the rollers is narrow on the D6K compared to the D6K2. I have the bolt hole pattern on the D6K from side to side is 11.75 and it is 12.5 on the K2. I have a picture of both rollers one in front of the other and the shell looks to be about the same width but the K2 roller is larger in diameter. Here is a picture I have of the rollers.

Attachments

• BOTTOM ROLLER.JPG
    BOTTOM ROLLER.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 47

akcatskinner

Occupation
Wildland Technologist
The thread ended???
Did anyone ever come up with a solution for converting systemone rails on an early D6K LGP over to HD rails ?

ih100

I‘ve just found this thread, the only detail about application for the OP’s machine was “light applications”. I’m a bit mystified as we’ve run machines on test, one that’s done heavy work including very abrasive granite sand and it’s taken 7000 hrs to kill the tracks. One machine I know of on wide tracks killed the chains in about 2000 hrs. S1 life is very application dependent but wide shoes on S1 chains is a bad combination on any soil, imo.

akcatskinner

Occupation
Wildland Technologist
Wow, I am impressed by the quickness of the responses.
There has got to be a set of HD rails and pads out there on an excavator or something that will work on the early D6K track frame. Searching...... Meanwhile I am looking for D6K2 track frames . I like the hydraulic drive that dials down to 1/10 gear, the view of the cutting edges and the pressurized cab. I've been an open cab guy in Alaska for 46 years. A Cat man ,about to go Komatsu, lol.
I bought a early D6K LGP model that had 6000 hrs on it ,the tracks seemed ok except for some minor damage to pads, I ran it a hundred hours in a couple years ,it seemed fine. This year, It got worked hard for 500 hrs walking over logs and stumps, silty mud and burning tundra, the master pins kept turning in the link. I called the track guru up here, told him I had problems with the masterlink and he said "get used to it, they are junk, weld em" We have been searching for a solution , in vain so far. $30K for new chains (sys one) and pads and sprockets from the dozer mafia is the best I can find so far. I had to replace the masterlink, the mafia service people were really no help with a field repair, they arrived without the new masterlink I had gold streaked some 60 hours earlier, and no tools. The press he had was for a hightrack and didnt fit. He left at his bosses instruction, I had to practically accost him to get one of the inner links, and a pair of outer links he did bring. I had to send an expediter 200 miles to get the new masterlink left at the shop. That was a long night in the rain for me. I cut an outer and innerlink off with a cutoff wheel and pressed on a new inner and outerlink with a bottle jack, sledge hammer and a couple pieces of pipe and blocks of wood cut out of a burnt log. I then installed a new master link on new pins by sunup. The new pins in new masterlinks with new bolts had spun in the link during the first hour, I had to weld them in to stop that.....How can Cat not recall that junk or at least provide a solution ??. To add insult to injury, the cat service sent me a bill for $2,500 for showing up without the parts or the tools, blocked me from ordering more parts untill I paid the bill. I tried having a friend buy parts in Oregon and they refused to sell them parts to be shipped to Alaska. Ya, might be mafia if they come after me. Sadly I have 4 other Cat dozers, all old school , all reliable. May be time to retire.