• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D7 17a lift cylinder reseal kit

ZGrant231

Im looking for a lift cylinder reseal kit for my 17A #12338.
Does anyone have access to the vintage caterpillar SIS that might be able to help me find a seal kit for my girl?
Also, her last hydraulic oil change had some pices of what looked like felt stuck to the filter element right before she started leaking profusely.

Attachments

• 20220308_180412.jpg
    20220308_180412.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 12

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Does anyone have access to the vintage caterpillar SIS
No such thing unfortunately. It was all kept on microfiche that probable landed in the local dumpster decades ago.

Look on the hydraulic tank for a Serial Number plate and post a photo. The S/N will be for the hydraulic control which should identify the lift cylinder part number and therefore a seal kit

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Im looking for a lift cylinder reseal kit for my 17A #12338.
Does anyone have access to the vintage caterpillar SIS that might be able to help me find a seal kit for my girl?
Also, her last hydraulic oil change had some pices of what looked like felt stuck to the filter element right before she started leaking profusely.
If yours is the same as mine it will have v-pack seals , you may have shims between the head and the seal retainer . If there are shims there remove and replace the retainer . Removing one shim at a time to check if it seals . Careful not to damage the v-packs , they would look like felt broken up . My serial # 15970 so close enough to yours to have the same seals .

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
The supplier below should be able to supply a suitable lift cylinder kit. The D7 17A was also called the D7D.
I don't recall ever seeing Caterpillar produce a list of hydraulic seal kits, although they did produce lists of other repair kits.
Cat hydraulic cylinders are always initially measured on rod diameter and cylinder internal diameter - then you look to the cylinder part #.
However, there have been a vast number of Cat hydraulic cylinders made, and a substantial number of design changes to the seals over the decades.
Try calling Hercules and giving them the cylinder bore and rod diameter, and the cylinder part #, and see what they can come up with.

https://www.herculesus.com/product.php?search_text_new=D7D

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Cylinder Group Number is shown at the bottom of the parts diagram I posted.
I saw that but I did not have access to the document at the time due to the fact it was in a hard drive on the other side of the World. I just sucked the photo of the cover from the web.

I have access to it now. The seal kits in that document only start at the D7E model of tractor, so unfortunately there are no kits available for those particular cylinders, only individual seal Part Numbers