• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D7 17A overheating

Farmrboy

got a old 17A that's been sitting for about 5-8 years well last summer we finally got it in the shop and put new head gaskets and reworked the heads. Got to using it for thr first time after the work and was moving a little dirt and it started running warm and started to Puke a little antifreeze. When we done the work we put new thermostats in it, all new gaskets. These are simple machines so I'm sure it's something I'm overlooking, radiator is clear of debris, any thoughts on this old gal thanks.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Look inside for fouling from water deposits in the radiator, most likely culprit.

chevy43

Sounds like something didn't seal all the way. Maybe a small crack somewhere? Can hurt to try you favorite stop leak. I have similar problems on my TD-18 but the stop leak seems to work.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
Was it pressurizing before you did gaskets.
What was the liner height and liner flange like.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Just thinking off the top of head.

Have you tried filling the radiator full then start and let it idle with cap off? If there is a compression leak it usually will start pushing the coolant out pretty quick. If a belt driven water pump try this with belts off.

d9gdon

I would be looking for pinholes in the precombustion chambers first. It's very common and an easy fix.

grandpa

If its equiped with hydraulic dozer, those 17a's only had half a radiator to start with because of the hydraulics were in the bottom half of the radiator cavity. Do the checks as the boys presented above and if that testing fails, question the temps of your hydraulic system... Hydraulics could be creating heat adding to the fact your rad is small.

Farmrboy

Thanks for the responses guy I'll definitely look into it more. The reason we put new head gaskets on was when we would've start it up it would just puke antifreeze like crazy we believe we had a bad precombustion chamber. We have fixed this issue as it only seems to get hot now and it puked some antifreeze out but not much at all. It is a hydraulic blade machine. I don't know what the liner height was I will admit I did not check this Everything looked good when we took it apart. Once we got it back together it was slobbering oil out the exhaust horrible we figured it was from glazed cylinder walls, once we started working it that seemed to disappear.