• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D7 7m glow plugs

Richard Wedin

Does anyone know of a way to install glow plugs into a D-7 7M head? I bought a D-7 engine that was converted to electric start ( no pony motor) and does not have glow plugs. If I could find newer style injectors with a precombustion chamber that would fit into a 7M head, I could possibly order chambers with glow plug holes. Is there a precombustion chamber for glow plugs that will screw into a 7M cylinder head? Has anyone solved this issue? Would a 17A fit? Rick

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
The D7 7M uses the D8800 engine, the D7 17A uses the D339 engine. The D339 was a completely new design engine produced in 1955 to replace the D8800 engine, so nothing interchanges.

The simplest method to heat intake air for a diesel, is to install an intake air heater. This will be a vastly cheaper option as compared to trying to install precombustion chambers with glow-plugs in the D8800.

No D8800 engine ever used precombustion chambers with glow plugs, AFAIK.

Richard Wedin

I was curious if there was a precombustion chamber with the short injector like the D-4 7U uses which had a similar size or could be machined to fit.
Is there a preferred intake heater and a procedure that electric start conversions are using?
I guess my other option would be a zerostart ether injection in the intake.
With all the experienced vintage cat mechanics out there I would have thought someone would have come up with a solution, but if you and old magnet haven't heard of one I guess it doesn't exist...yet. Rick

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Well, up front, I can advise you I've never installed any kind of cold start device, nor ever needed one, because where I live and have worked in Australia, I never saw anything like really cold mornings!

Maybe a little bit of thin ice in containers left outside overnight with water in them, but it was usually gone, not long after the sun came up!

However, I ran plenty of Perkins diesel engines (as well as Cat, Cummins, Komatsu, Deutz, Detroit, Toyota, and probably another half-dozen brands I've forgotten about) - and I know that Perkins supplied a simple little electric and diesel-fired intake heater that was effective in very cold starting conditions.

None of the engines I ran needed any kind of cold start assist, normally - unless they were very tired - in which case, a gasoline-soaked rag, lit up and held over the intake, usually did the trick!

However, as I see where you live, is in a region with bitterly cold Winters, I'd suggest that adapting a Perkins intake heater is probably the simplest and easiest way to solve your cold start problems.

The advantage with the Perkins intake heater is that electric current draw is reasonably low, so no major extra drain on batteries that you need for operating the starter motor.
However, you will still need to plumb in a separate relay for the Perkins intake heater. The other advantage with the Perkins intake heater is, they're cheap.

You will need to plumb in the fuel line to the intake heater, and the small diesel reservoir as well, but I'd have to opine that's not a task that's beyond the average HEF member who owns and runs engines and equipment, and who has average-to-good mechanical skills.

Here's a guy with an educational YooToob video showing the Perkins intake heater, and how it operates, and I'm sure he'd be more than happy to assist you as well.

Richard Wedin

That's an interesting heater, it's simple and I think I might have a couple of them on a shelf in a parts trailer. I didn't know how they worked and when I saw the fitting on the back I figured they needed some type of pump.
I may have an issues with the power unit. I bought it 10+ years ago to replace a D-7 engine. The concrete guy I bought it from said he rebuilt it and converted it to electric start to use it on his crusher. He contracted out his crushing and didn't use it so he let me talk him out of it. It was stored outside covered and I turned it over every year. Now I need it to replace an engine on my sawmill. I ran about 20 gal. of fuel through it last fall but it needed a shot of ether to start. It runs nice but #2 cyl is smoking some and I'm getting air in the line. In a few months spring will finally be here and I'll adjust the injector pump plungers and swap out #2. Maybe that will help my starting issue. Rick

Richard Wedin

A coolant heater isn't really practical for my application because of the time it would take to heat 18 gal. of coolant outdoors in below freezing temperatures (even though it would be easier on the engine). I guess I'm not very patient. I just ordered a 24v perkins intake manifold heater like OzDozer suggested. I had a coolant heater on the 6 cyl. Murphy that I'm replacing and it would take about an hour or more to heat it up in cold temps. The Murphy would start in almost any temperature as long as the starter would spin but when the oil would get thick it put a lot of drag on the engine. We busted 3 starter nose cones on that engine. Rick