• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D7G Australia

Buggo

G'day. I am a farmer in Australia. I purchased a D7G a few years ago and I am just learning how to use it and drive it. Having great fun. I got a workshop manual with the Dozer. I have been reading many posts re D7G's and love it. I have learnt a lot. I am not a Mechanic but want to learn how to do almost everything myself. I have worked on my Diesel tractors for years. My machine does use engine oil, does use Trans oil, does use hydraulic oil. I don't use the dozer for long periods just 2 to 4 hours at at time. Over that time I may use about 3mm on the engine oil stick. 2mm on the trans oil stick. Not sure on the Hydraulic oil. I check the engine, trans and final drives while the engine is warm and idling. I empty about 250ml out of the Passengers side final drive and about 50ml out of the drivers side. is this normal. Should I be checking the final drives whilst the engine is idling.
I look forward to your replies.
Buggo

James Sorochan

Occupation
x-water & sewer construction Now farmer.
The experts hopefully will pipe in here but I think the tranny and final drive oil is the same. 30W T0-4. I believe but will wait for others to verify. If your only using the machine occasionally I wouldn't worry about getting into it unless it gets a lot worse.

Welder Dave

D7G's are apparently one of the easier Cat's to work on. Have heard an engine can be pulled in a couple hours compared to other models that take several hours. Hopefully you won't need to be pulling the engine out any time soon.

Buggo

D7G's are apparently one of the easier Cat's to work on. Have heard an engine can be pulled in a couple hours compared to other models that take several hours. Hopefully you won't need to be pulling the engine out any time soon.
Thanks Mate. Its a great machine. I am just learning but having great fun.
Thanks Welder. I am also a welder "Boilermaker" by trade. I love my Cat. Easy to drive and easy to work on I think.
Buggo

Buggo

The experts hopefully will pipe in here but I think the tranny and final drive oil is the same. 30W T0-4. I believe but will wait for others to verify. If your only using the machine occasionally I wouldn't worry about getting into it unless it gets a lot worse.
Thanks James. I think they are the same. I will have to check.
Buggo