• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D7G keeps blowing torque converter output seal

Old Magnet

Hi tc, got a question.
I can see what you say about thrust getting one of the two outer seal rings out of position and then leaking but that leakage would go to the housing, not pressurize the outer lip seal at the yoke. Now the one sealing the shaft to the inner carrier assembly would be a direct pressure feed to the lip seal if it failed. Am I missing something?

tctractors

Not really O.M. as a for instance if the spider joints are removed and the engine started, the converter output shaft will blow out of the converter via oil pressure and rotation, if the torque is lugged down to low over a long period the result is all the converter thrust starts to eat into the drive gear face, the converter will be in need of a strip down and the carrier bushings in the divider hub checking for being fitted in the correct direction, the thought of just replacing the steel ring seals is no use, the oil escape from the rings can be very impressive, it usually only floods the case on D6C/D/H/R tractors but on D7 D8 tractors it can be a bit more dramatic.
tctractors

02Dmax

Found the culprit. I must've broke it when I put the torque in last time.
8d2eaaacaf80312f988f90d8402f856c.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
That will do it every time.

Image did not post but here is the one I got from the link:

torque seals.jpg

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Getting the rings in is not a hard task, did you strip and check all the components?
tctractors

Yes, as you are this close it would be well worth a couple hours time to totally strip that converter down to the small bits and inspect things very close. If everything is nice and tidy all it will cost is the labor.

Not sure if it is common with the tractors, but on the FEL's we had, the stator, item #12 in the picture posted in message #10 would often be coming loose where the vanes were crimped to the ends. Don't recall one ever coming right to bits but it sure would not be a pretty sight if it did!

Last edited:

02Dmax

Ya. I pulled the whole assembly out and totally dismantled it. Everything is in very good shape. The owner seems to think it has been overhauled at some point but he couldn't remember the hours.

At any rate, now we know it's in good shape and I'm putting all new orings and gaskets on all that I took apart so hopefully that will eliminate some leaks that were sure to come.

02Dmax

I'm north of Kansas City about an hour. Between St Joe and Savannah MO.

This job is east of me about 20 miles.

oldirt

Ok, for some reason I thought that tractor was around mound city.. my mistake.

oldirt

Oh! well that must be what I was thinking about.. my memory is kind of.. poor.