• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D8H D342 injector pump

Jasoncarlon

Hi,
I am currently looking at a D8H with the D342 in it. Serial number 46A16257, it has a lot of diesel entering the sump, I would think pump shaft seal In most engines usually, but the set up it I am unfamiliar with, is there anything else on these engines that would cause the same issue? I’m chasing some info on pump removal etc for these. I have no experience with an engine of this vintage.
Cheers.

56wrench

first, check the seals on the fuel transfer pump, if i remember correctly, they are spring loaded packings on the shaft of the gear pump, it should be located near the the service meter at the bottom of the accessory drive/injection pump

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
first, check the seals on the fuel transfer pump, if i remember correctly, they are spring loaded packings on the shaft of the gear pump, it should be located near the the service meter at the bottom of the accessory drive/injection pump
D8 pump.JPG

Jasoncarlon

Cheers, I will give it a look into first. Have been told it has been sitting in the shed for almost 2 years unused, so anything is possible really haha, seals drying out etc.

tctractors

I would think by your Serial No you have the big injector pump, it's well worth checking inside the flat plate to see if there is any fuel in the case, fuel can enter the sump via a few routes that have drain lines on them that can block up.
Tctractors.

Jasoncarlon

All those early transfer pumps have a tell tale drain line that drains the seal cavity if the seal/s should leak. Check to make sure that mud dobers have not plugged the drain line.

Ah righto, too easy I’ll give it a look into when I get back to it hopefully tomorrow, cheers

Jasoncarlon

I would think by your Serial No you have the big injector pump, it's well worth checking inside the flat plate to see if there is any fuel in the case, fuel can enter the sump via a few routes that have drain lines on them that can block up.
Tctractors.
Yeah mate sounds about right.
Is that flat plate on the side of it is it? Can’t remember off the top of my head, I’m sure I will find it though aha, Cheers