• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

D8s do not float

LT-x7

Occupation
Earth Moving Contractor
Admitted to drinking before reporting to work, picked up at 2am drunk...... Maybe they need to check that Cat for an ice chest.....:beerchug

If he really did just drink before work I'd like to know how many hours of hammered drunk dozing he got in without anyone noticing.

Delmer

Hey, wait a second dare, he was in THE Mississippi, which in this case is between Wisconsin and Minnesota.

To his credit, that's a tricky job sober. I wonder if the sand collapsed, or if he got too low, or if it was really a stupid mistake.

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
I like how the newspaper spelled it "Caterpiller". I guess they don't have spellcheck? Outsourcing their editing to foreign countries?

Garrie Denny

Occupation
see above
How the hell does some Bozo who is half full of soup sign on at a work-site and No-one sees he is Blotto ? Unbeliavable,the Contractor needs his marching orders. This could have just as easily ended in a post under Safety Issues,another worker dies while operating. D-Head.

Garrie Denny

Occupation
see above
Anyone who sees a funny side to this thread is a Wanker, Machinery operation can , and usually ends in tears when an operator ****s up when he is affected by Illiccit drugs or Alcohol,Operators call, Someones possible death.Thats got to be funny 2 ?

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
It happened near Rochester in southeast MN. The contractor is a larger dirt operations outfit from Ames, Iowa. They have a good reputation. No mention of where the newly hired operator was from. Unfortunately we see more and more travelers on the jobs that are traveling because they can't pass the drug tests in their home local. Often they slip through the random drug testing that the unions/contractors sponsor because they are not a member of the jurisdictional local. There is a big labor shortage in Minnesota this year so I'm sure we will get more showing up.

ih100

Anyone who sees a funny side to this thread is a Wanker, Machinery operation can , and usually ends in tears when an operator ****s up when he is affected by Illiccit drugs or Alcohol,Operators call, Someones possible death.Thats got to be funny 2 ?

Thanks for that Garrie. I don't think the many professional owners, operators and mechanics on here, (some, like myself, of several decades experience,) either a/ needed that observation to be rammed down their throats or b/ need your approval whether to laugh or not. Now lighten up.

Delmer

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
Sorry, gotta agree. It really isn't that funny when he could have drowned. Had he been working elsewhere someone else could be dead. About 15 years ago one of my BIL's was driving school bus. I stopped by the bus barn one afternoon just before school let out to visit (I knew most of the drivers). All the drivers were in there laughing it up. About a half hour before a local drunk left a bar, drove about a block and made the right hand turn to go home. The problem was he turned into a parked car about 1/2 a block early, in day light on a nice spring day. When I pointed out to the drivers that had the guy waited an hour that could have been their bus, loaded with kids that he hit. And maybe out of town at much higher speeds. Had this guy been working on the side of a highway it could well have been him backing out on the road in front of a car with your family in it. Real funny now that you think about it, isn't it? You and yours, smashed into the side of a D8, or maybe under a D8? Want to know what a driver looks like who smashes into the side of a 70 ton tracked vehicle? At Ft Bliss a guy driving to White Sands blew by a road guard and pickup with a warning light anddd smashed into the side of an M88 tank retriever while driving a VW Rabbit. Some civilian guy who worked out there with a PHD in aerospace engineering. The road guard said he was driving and reading a news paper when he went past the guard. It was my tank that was being towed in for a blown engine. Wasn't very pretty.

Rick

mitch504

As the person who made the first joke, I have decided to break my own rule against stirring the pot.

To start with, the joke I made, and the ones that answered it, had nothing to do with operating drunk. They concerned the headline of the thread.

As to our comments encouraging dui, or oui, I would not have made a joke if I thought it could in anyway encourage someone to operate drunk, but......
it won't.

As someone who spent 21 years as a Paramedic/ Fire Captain, I would say I have seen more of the effects of drunkeness than nearly anyone on here.

If I were to be made king, a first offense DUI would carry the same penalty as Attempted Murder, because it is depraved indifference to what you do to someone else's life. If this man had drowned, I would feel sorry for his family first, and for his employer for all the hassle this would cause, but not for too long; because they would probably all be better off without him in the long run.

Ok, I'm through with the soapbox now, somebody else can use it.
Mitch

ih100

I don't agree with DUI, operating drunk/stoned etc. Never done it, never will. Those who do are the w*****s, not us here having a smile.

OldTanker, watching something happen in front of you and laughing while doing nothing to stop it is a world apart from reading about it after the event and seeing the funny side.

tctractors

I thought the drunk at work thing had all but finished some years ago, as I had not seen this issue on sites for a long time until the other week, I was on a fairly large City site with about 30 workmen looking busy (its a new site for office buildings) I was tucked away in a corner working on a CAT 320, also in the corner with me was 2 men drunk as scunks, with their fellow workmen sort of covering for them???

tctractors

ih100

Sadly not, Tony. We've recruited agency operators over the last five years, and it's been a recurrent problem, specially with the night shift. The junkies are just as bad. I'll never be convinced that any rubbish you smoke, snort or shoot up your veins makes you a better at your job.

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
Sadly not, Tony. We've recruited agency operators over the last five years, and it's been a recurrent problem, specially with the night shift. The junkies are just as bad. I'll never be convinced that any rubbish you smoke, snort or shoot up your veins makes you a better at your job.

I got to be pals with a guy back in the 70's. Went to go hunting with him. Once we got to the area were going to hunt we got out of my car and he pulled a joint out and claimed it made him a better shot. Not funny at all. we did not hunt that day!

I don't look at events like this drunk operator as funny. Stuff like this happens all too often. I look at it as a learning point. The point being weather you are driving down the road or around heavy equipment, you never know when that druggy or drunk is going to do something stupid.

Rick

ih100

We agree on the important bit, Rick, but after the event, as long as no-one was hurt...well, we'll just have to differ.

Have a nice day.
Brian