• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Daisey, my C4

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Meet Daisey my Can-Carr(Tree Farmer) C4. Sounds silly giving a machine a name but they do it on boats:). She has a 1970 Chev 350 with truck tranny, currently on the diesel transplant list. Working in a swamp, with excellent ice conditions. The chains are off to protect the thin ice from breaking. The front tires are Primex forestry (china) tires, and I hope to get a similar set for the back this year.

The racoon must have climbed out of the hollow tree when it broke and a few seconds later a limb fell to trap him. Phil

Attachments

• Daisey.JPG
    Daisey.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 7,127
  • Daisey 2.JPG
    Daisey 2.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 5,994
  • Racoon.JPG
    Racoon.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 2,542

Autocar

Nice little tractor Phil I know where there is a C5 about the same size as yours but the back end is built a little heavyer it has a 3/53 in it and a manual transmission. I have used it a number of times over the years and it will pull some big trees. And the best part you don't need a over with permitt to move it like my C7T. Have a great Christmas !

surfer-joe

Seeing that old C-4 brought back a lot of memories of my time with Great Lakes Paper northeast of Thunder Bay, Ontario. At Camp 603 we had maybe about 50 C-5's and a few old C-4's converted into fuel skidders or A-frame hoists. Great Lakes must have owned hundreds of the C-4's and 5's at one time, but were buying into the Clark 664's and the Timberjacks, usually with grapples instead of winches.

I spent a lot of my time there working on the Tree Farmers. Clutches, tranny's (manual)winches, controls, engine overhauls (Detroit 3-53's) hydraulics. The little buggers were simple, rugged, and pretty reliable overall. We didn't use tire chains, so tire repairs or replacements were pretty common. Rollovers were also common, but another skidder would tip it back upright, a mechanic would check all the vitals, and off it usually went, back to work. I painted a lot of them too, usually on Friday night shifts so the paint had a chance to dry over the weekend, and we didn't all have to smell the fumes.

All our C-4's had a Ford industrial 4-cylinder diesel engine for power.