• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dam Construction - By Deas Plant

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Here is an article slaved over by Deas Plant on Dam construction.

I once built 4 dams with a 950 for a yabby farm, but they were mostly dug out of gravel. I had to load out the top gravel for road construction so the methodolgy was driven largely by trucks arriving for a load. If I'd had something like this in my mind I think I could have organised it better and reduced my machine movements......but anyway.....that was when I was young and knew everything:rolleyes:

I hope Deas effort is appreciated.

Attachments

• Dam Sinking Part 1.doc
    73 KB · Views: 598
  • Dam Sinking Part 2.doc
    96 KB · Views: 235

PROCUT1

This is a totally pointless post but I thought your title was funny.

Dam construction

I say that to myself every time im sitting in traffic surrounded by cones.

Deas Plant

One Method Of Dam Sinking/Excavating/Construction.

Hi, Folks.
For those who are having difficulty accessing this article in MS Word .doc format, here it is direct onto an HEF page. The sketches didn't copy across from the Word document, so I have uploaded them as attachments. Happy reading and happy dam-sinking.

One Method Of Sinking Dams.

Here is the method that I have used for sinking (For ‘sinking’, read ‘constructing’.) excavated dams in a rectangular shape with a ‘dozer or track loader. This method adapts easily to sloping sites, with either cross-fall, fall from front to back, or both. It also adapts to different sized dozers or loaders. It also has the advantage of handling almost all of the material only ONCE and of compacting it in place as it placed.

In most of the areas where I have used this method, there has been sealing clay available at depths between 2 and 3 feet. This does make it far easier to seal a dam. For the purposes of this article, I will assume that good sealing clay is available within 3 feet of the surface. It also helps if the dam is around 20% wider from side to side than it is from front to back. See Sketches 1 and 2. This helps to balance the quantities of material going into the sides and the backs of each corner.

The method involves over-excavating the dam when removing the first ‘floor’. See Sketch 1. This over-excavation is then filled back in with sealing clay from the second floor, bringing the dam back to its planned size at existing ground level. See Sketch 2.

The outside broken line in Sketch 1 represents the over-excavation while the solid lines represent the dam set-out on the ground. The over-excavation line would normally be three times further out from the set-out line than the depth to sealing clay, assuming that sealing clay is found within or at the bottom of the first layer. In any event, the over-excavation should allow for at least a 2 foot thick layer of clay to be laid over the topsoil when claying up and sealing the dam.

The dam is divided into two halves for the purposes of excavating the first two floors. The double broken lines through the middle of the dam represent the dividing line between halves for the purposes of excavation of the first two floors. If one back corner is lower than the other, this dividing line would be adjusted further AWAY from the lower corner, usually by ‘educated guesswork’ calculation, to give more material to the lower corner, thus making them pretty much the same level at their tops when the first two floors have been completely removed. You will know if you have got this ‘educated guesswork’ calculation close to right after you have finished the first floor because the tops of the corners will be pretty close to level with each other, even though the base of one is lower than the other.

All bulk material from the first floor is placed into the corners, actually forming the shape of the corners in the process. This involves ‘fanning’ the material around each corner as it is pushed into the corner. To achieve this, I always put a cut along the back of the dam, down to at least the depth of the sealing clay and working each way from centre, into the respective sides of the dam. The outside of this cut is along the line of the over-excavation for the back of the dam and the excavated material is pushed up into a ramp at a slope of 1:3 with the toe of the ramp on the over-excavation line for the side of the dam.

The next cut is along the side of dam on each side, again with the outside of the cut along the over-excavation line, and again with all the material pushed into a ramp with its toe at the over-excavation line for the back of the dam. This should result in two ramps of material forming the sides of what will eventually be each corner.

The next cut in each half of the dam bisects the remaining material in each half and the material is again pushed out in a ramp, partially filling the space between the existing two ramps. See Sketch 3. The broken lines paralleling Cuts 1 and 2 represent the sides of these cuts, the outside of each cut being on the over-excavation line. Cut 3 is only shown by its centreline. The remaining material in each half of the dam is then pushed into the spaces between these three ramps, forming the fan shape of the corner. Again, see Sketch 3.

The remaining scraps are cleaned up, first towards the back of the dam forming a batter with its toe on the over-excavation line along the back of the dam. The last of the scraps are then cleaned up from the middle of the dam towards each side, forming a batter on each side with the toe of each batter starting on the respective side’s over-excavation line.

As a rough guide, somewhere between 1/3 and ½ of all the material in a dam of this type is in the first two layers and all but the scraps of these two layers goes into building the corners.

When you have all the topsoil pushed into the corners and the floor cleaned up, there is one more step before ripping for the next layer. You need to cut the inside of the corner that you have just pushed up so that it has a distinct ‘V’ in it, running upwards from the middle of the base of the corner to the middle of the top. This ‘V’ should be exactly in line with where the finished ‘V’ of the corner will be and in the shape of the finished corner, although starting at the over-excavation lines. This step is necessary so that you don’t cut through the clay sealing layer when cleaning up at the end of building the dam.

If you happen to be using a track loader or a dozer without a tilt blade, it is permissible to put a fillet up the corner. This makes it somewhat easier to clean the corners at the end. Of course, if you are a lazy type, you can also put this fillet in when using a dozer with a tilt blade, but then where is the challenge?

At this stage, the dam should look like Sketch 4, with the dotted lines representing the excavated material placed in the corners. The solid line up each corner represents the ‘V’ cut mentioned earlier and the broken lines up each corner represent the alternative fillet cut up the corner, also mentioned earlier. I have left the over-excavation lines shown as broken lines to illustrate where the toes of the batters should be at this stage. Sketch 4 also shows the short batter along the back between the corners where the first floor was cleaned up and pushed out and the similar batters along each side where the sides where also cleaned up and pushed out, indicated by the lighter dotted lines in these areas.

Once the top is cut off the bank all the way around, it is time to start the final clean-up inside the dam. If one corner is still a little lower or lighter than the other, side-cut the back bank toward that corner and push the accumulated material up the corner to where it can be spread around where it is needed. The front bank or ‘mouth’ of the dam may also be cut to that end and pushed up the side bank to the corner if needed.

If both corners are equal and all banks are equal, work the clean-up so that the material is spread evenly around the banks. Side cut the banks into whichever corners are most convenient and push the accumulated material up the corners to where it can be distributed evenly around the banks.

It is also possible to trim the banks by travelling diagonally up them parallel to the corner line and working your way along the batter. It is usually best to start these diagonal passes in the middle of each bank and work toward the corners, allowing any overflow from the blade to fall downhill onto the untrimmed areas of the bank, eventually finishing in the corner. The actual pattern worked may be varied from one dam to another to suit the needs of the individual dam.

I have always worked over all banks twice, a ‘clean-up’ pass where the heaviest cutting is done, and a lighter trimming and polishing cut to finish off. The extra track rolling and cutting always leaves the dam better sealed and looking neater than just a ‘once-over’ clean-up.

Silt ponds/traps – if applicable - and overflows are usually constructed last so that they don’t get in the way of the main construction. The material from these may be distributed along the banks.

Some people choose to totally remove all topsoil and grass from the site before the main excavation is started and replace it on the banks after the dam itself is completed to facilitate re-grassing. If this is required, I usually split the dam into three triangles by running lines from the middle of the front bank or mouth of the dam to each back corner. I them distribute the topsoil fairly evenly along the back and sides of the dam, outside where the banks will eventually be placed. Once the dam is completed, this topsoil may be spread evenly over the outsides and tops of the banks.

Measuring up:
Unless the site is dead flat, the actual water level area of the dam is almost always greater than the original set-out area of the dam. In the areas where I have worked at sinking dams, the measuring up has always been done based on water level dimensions, disregarding any overflow.

Measurements required:
Length and breadth of top at water level.
Length and breadth of the bottom
Depth from water level (mouth of dam) to the bottom.

1. Multiply length of top by breadth of top.

2. Multiply length of bottom by breadth of bottom.

3. Multiply length of top plus length of bottom by breadth of top plus breadth of bottom.

4. Add these three results together.

5. Multiply this result by the depth.

6. Divide product by 6 (six).

7. If working in feet, divide this result by 27 for cubic yards.

8. If gallons capacity is required, multiply the answer to 6 by 6.25 for imperial gallons and divide that figure by 0.833 for U.S gallons.

Happy dam-sinking.

Attachments

• Sketch 3.jpg
    Sketch 3.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,272
  • Sketch 1A.jpg
    Sketch 1A.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,255
  • Sketch 2A.jpg
    Sketch 2A.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 1,249
  • Sketch 4A.JPG
    Sketch 4A.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,264
  • Sketch 5A.JPG
    Sketch 5A.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,258

Deas Plant

Yer Welkum.

Hi, Grader4me.
Yer welkum, Mate. If it helps just one person to do it better, easier, or 'righter', it'll be well worth doing it. And it's now here for all to see for pretty much as long as the forum lasts.

Deas Plant

A little more on the dam(n) issue

Hi, Folks.
Here is a little more on the dam(n) issue. Just thought you might like to know that 'Big Brother' is watching.

This is an actual letter sent to a man named Ryan DeVries by the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Quality, State of Pennsylvania. This guy's response is hilarious, but read the State's letter before you get to the response letter.

SUBJECT: DEQ File No.97-59-0023; T11N; R10W, Sec. 20; Lycoming County

Dear Mr. DeVries:

It has come to the attention of the Department of Environmental Quality that there has been recent unauthorized activity on the above referenced parcel of property. You have been certified as the legal landowner and/or contractor who did the following unauthorized activity:

Construction and maintenance of two wood debris dams across the outlet stream of Spring Pond.

A permit must be issued prior to the start of this type of activity.

A review of the Department's files shows that no permits have been issued. Therefore, the Department has determined that this activity is in violation of Part 301, Inland Lakes and Streams, of the Natural Resource and Environmental Protection Act, Act 451 of the Public Acts of 1994, being sections 324.30101 to 324.30113 of the Pennsylvania Compiled Laws, annotated.!

The Department has been informed that one or both of the dams partially failed during a recent rain event, causing debris and flooding at downstream locations. We find that dams of this nature are inherently hazardous and cannot be permitted. The Department therefore orders you to cease and desist all activities at this location, and to restore the stream to a free-flow condition by removing all wood and brush forming the dams from the stream channel. All restoration work shall be completed no later than January 31, 2006.

Please notify this office when the restoration has been completed so that a follow-up site inspection may be scheduled by our staff.

Failure to comply with this request or any further unauthorized activity on the site may result in this case being referred for elevated enforcement action..

We anticipate and would appreciate your full cooperation in this matter. Please feel free to contact me at this office if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
David L. Price
District Representative and Water Management Division.

Here is the actual response sent back by Mr. DeVries:

Re: DEQ File No. 97-59-0023; T11N; R10W, Sec. 20; Lycoming County

Dear Mr. Price,

Your certified letter dated 12/17/02 has been handed to me to respond to. I am the legal landowner but not the Contractor at 2088 Dagget Lane, Trout Run, Pennsylvania.

A couple of beavers are in the (State unauthorized) process of constructing and maintaining two wood "debris" dams across the outlet stream of my Spring Pond. While I did not pay for, authorize, nor supervise their dam project, I think they would be highly offended that you call their skillful use of natures building materials "debris." I would like to challenge your department to attempt to emulate their dam project any time and/or any place you choose. I believe I can safely state there is no way you could ever match their dam skills, their dam resourcefulness, their dam ingenuity, their dam persistence, their dam determination and/or their dam work ethic.

As to your request, I do not think the beavers are aware that they must first fill out a dam permit prior to the start of this type of dam activity.

My first dam question to you is:
(1) Are you trying to discriminate against my Spring Pond Beavers.
(2) Or do you require all beavers throughout this State to conform to said dam request?

If you are not discriminating against these particular beavers, through the Freedom of Information Act, I request completed copies of all those other applicable beaver dam permits that have been issued. Perhaps we will see if there really is a dam violation of Part 301, Inland Lakes and Streams, of the Natural Resource and Environmental Protection Act, Act 451 of the Public Acts of 1994, being sections 324.30101 to 324.30113 of the Pennsylvania Compiled Laws, annotated.

I have several concerns. My first concern is; aren't the beavers entitled to legal representation? The Spring Pond Beavers are financially destitute and are unable to pay for said representation -- so the State will have to provide them with a dam lawyer. The Department's dam concern that either one or both of the dams failed during a recent rain event, causing flooding, is proof that this is a natural occurrence, which the Department is required to protect. In other words, we should leave the Spring Pond Beavers alone rather than harassing them and calling their dam names.

If you want the stream "restored" to a dam free-flow condition please contact the beavers -- but if you are going to arrest them, they obviously did not pay any attention to your dam letter, they being unable to read English.

In my humble opinion, the Spring Pond Beavers have a right to build their unauthorized dams as long as the sky is blue, the grass is green and water flows downstream. They have more dam rights than I do to live and enjoy Spring Pond. If the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection lives up to its name, it should protect the natural resources (Beavers) and the environment (Beavers' Dams).

So, as far as the beavers and I are concerned, this dam case can be referred for more elevated enforcement action right now. Why wait until 1/31/2006? The Spring Pond Beavers may be under the dam ice then and there will be no way for you or your dam staff to contact/harass them then.

In conclusion, I would like to bring to your attention to a real environmental quality, health, problem in the area. It is the bears! Bears are actually defecating in our woods. I definitely believe you should be persecuting the defecating bears and leave the beavers alone.

If you are going to investigate the beaver dam, watch your step! The bears are not careful where they dump!

Being unable to comply with your dam request, and being unable to contact you on your dam answering machine, I am sending this response to your dam office.

THANK YOU.
RYAN DEVRIES & THE DAM BEAVERSv

fireman050

Occupation
construction & volunteer firefighter
Hi, Folks.
Here is a little more on the dam(n) issue. Just thought you might like to know that 'Big Brother' is watching......

......Being unable to comply with your dam request, and being unable to contact you on your dam answering machine, I am sending this response to your dam office.

THANK YOU.
RYAN DEVRIES & THE DAM BEAVERSv

that was funny

Last edited by a moderator:

Deas Plant

Another instalment coming - on building earth wall dams.

Hi, Folks.
Over the next few days/weeks/months/years, I'll put fingers to keyboard and write up something similar on building an earth wall dam. Hopefully, I'll get it done before dementia sets in.