• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

dead time????

TheKid

Occupation
Crane Operator
Is it just me or is just Southern California's economy bad enough for no crane work? I have had the most time off since the holidays and it's soooooo slow right now my wife's income has past mine like 2 months ago. 1st time ever. Anyone know of a great operator job thats busy that i can move out of state? I love cali but even the iron workers are slow. its killing me.

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
Your not the only one ...up here every second guy is getting laid off...Mine's the only income ...i feel your burn ..

Hendrik

Thinks are slowing everywhere, the Australian government has just announced that the skilled migrant program will be reduced in some areas.
Last year the mining industry was begging people to operate equipment and now they are shutting/moth balling/canceling mines. As a result of the mines sucking up operators there was a shortage in other areas.
I would have thought that cranes would be OK because they work in the repair and maintenance side of things as well. Not a lot of new stuff going up I suppose.
Anyway best of luck, perhaps if you list your operator skills someone has a job lead.

Hendrik

Your not the only one ...up here every second guy is getting laid off...Mine's the only income ...i feel your burn ..
Yeah but the people at the top are still raking in the bonuses, makes your blood boil.
It's like you wreck a very expensive bit of machinery and get paid a bonus for doing so.

TheKid

Occupation
Crane Operator
I figured as much, all my buddies that are union are slow too. last year they wanted me to join with them and work union. they sit more then i do most of the time. according to my wife im not allowed in Australia anyway, apparently your women's accent drives me nuts and i forget im married. hehe. I left the water well pump industry as a tech, for the crane only gig just last year because it seemed like a safer career. But it seems not only does the countys, citys, and other local water agencys not have money to fix or repair anything, neither does anyone else. Im can't wait until my money tree grows in the backyard. the crane rental gig is so slow our 165t is washed every now and then just to wash the spiders and rats living in it.

td25c

Is it just me or is just Southern California's economy bad enough for no crane work? I have had the most time off since the holidays and it's soooooo slow right now my wife's income has past mine like 2 months ago. 1st time ever. Anyone know of a great operator job thats busy that i can move out of state? I love cali but even the iron workers are slow. its killing me.

Crane work has been slow lately.Not alot of building in the winter here.Now that spring is here the phone is starting to ring for the grove.I look forward to summer.Crane work is a sideline job for me ,I have an intrest in it and enjoy it.When the grove is not picking its parked in the shed.I do more dirt work than crane work and love it all.Does youre employer do jobs other than crane work .Its not a bad idea to be diversified and flexible.If one job is slow mabe another one will come up.

surfer-joe

All construction nationwide is as slow as I've seen it since the Arab oil embargo in 1974. I hope things pick up as the spring hits, but I'm not seeing any big dirt jobs.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
All construction nationwide is as slow as I've seen it since the Arab oil embargo in 1974. I hope things pick up as the spring hits, but I'm not seeing any big dirt jobs.

Don't feel lonely, guys. Used equipment ain't moving too well either. Those who are looking to buy used machine's are going to the big auctions because so many companies are selling their equipment, which is not a good thing in itself. It means those companies are hurting if they're selling their machines. I wish we'd all get back to working.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
it is beyond dead.
all the yards and halls are full.
been off since oct. and don't expect to work till april.

catkicker

Occupation
Crane Operator
Slow in Ohio now for the last 14 months or so. I ended up on the road traveling. I've been sticking with energy projects. Ethanol plants and now wind farm projects. I just finished up in West Texas end of February. Heading for N. Dakota or Colorado for wind farm projects
end of the month.
Hopefully things get better soon.

w1ia

Occupation
semi-retired
Work

I am trying to break into the business having just completed my CCO's for
Large and small telescoping hydraulic. I got a job offer...only one problem its for a 150 ton Manitowic lattice...Arggh!

Brent

w1ia

Occupation
semi-retired
Off topic

Thinks are slowing everywhere, the Australian government has just announced that the skilled migrant program will be reduced in some areas.
Last year the mining industry was begging people to operate equipment and now they are shutting/moth balling/canceling mines. As a result of the mines sucking up operators there was a shortage in other areas.
I would have thought that cranes would be OK because they work in the repair and maintenance side of things as well. Not a lot of new stuff going up I suppose.
Anyway best of luck, perhaps if you list your operator skills someone has a job lead.
I feel bad for you folks in the land down under...is there any good reason for destroying antique firearm?

B

w1ia

Occupation
semi-retired
Union

I figured as much, all my buddies that are union are slow too. last year they wanted me to join with them and work union. they sit more then i do most of the time. according to my wife im not allowed in Australia anyway, apparently your women's accent drives me nuts and i forget im married. hehe. I left the water well pump industry as a tech, for the crane only gig just last year because it seemed like a safer career. But it seems not only does the countys, citys, and other local water agencys not have money to fix or repair anything, neither does anyone else. Im can't wait until my money tree grows in the backyard. the crane rental gig is so slow our 165t is washed every now and then just to wash the spiders and rats living in it.

I contacted Local 4 in Mass. and was looking at a 4 year apprenticeship. Problem is there's NO work.

TheKid

Occupation
Crane Operator
yeah i hear you, same thing out here in California. Local 12 is in the same boat. Im glad i stayed non union for a bit.

Hendrik

I feel bad for you folks in the land down under...is there any good reason for destroying antique firearm?

B
When the Government gets involved reasoning stops and stupidity starts.
It could be argued that we have had no large scale massacres since the gun buy back scheme was introduced but funnily enough the bad guys still seem to be able to get a hold of weapons.

Dualie

Industry is pretty dead up here. The last time my boom truck went out was 2 weeks ago. before that it billed 40 hours in 4 months.

Oh and last trip out it split an injector body and was puking fuel EVERY WHERE under the hood