• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 160C LC Temp issues

Blake G

Hello. I purchased this excavator in February. It has 4800 hours on it. I noticed that that the O-ring was leaking at the hydraulic oil cooler. I fixed the leak but found that the oil had clogged the oil cooler, radiator, and cac. I removed all of them and sent them to a radiator shop to be cleaned. While I had them out I went ahead and changed the water pump, thermostat, idler, tensioner and belt. When running it i found that the gauge wasn't reading properly and that it was running hotter than it read. I found that the temp sensor was unhooked at the thermostat housing. Once i hooked it back up after running it for 30 minutes the temp will start over heating this is with the outside temp being 90 degrees f. I checked the radiator with a temp gun it it shows to be cooling it off roughly 15 degrees. That's when I noticed that the hydraulic oil will be around 180 degrees f coming into the cooler and it will only be a couple degrees different coming out of it. I have ordered the test and operations manual off of eBay but I'm unsure where to start just yet. Does this seem like the hydraulic temp is what's causing the engine to run hot? On a side note I know the hydraulic fluid is good as i just changed it with the Hitachi oil and filters roughly 100 hours ago. I also had the center joint rebuilt with Deere seals.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
There is an overheat switch on the top of the head at the flywheel end. Try unplugging it to see if your issue goes away.

Blake G

There is an overheat switch on the top of the head at the flywheel end. Try unplugging it to see if your issue goes away.
No sir it does not. I found that when it alarms I can unhook that switch and the alarm will go off but it is overheated.
I also ran it yesterday for a hour and a half before it started to get warm I took my temperature gun and pointed at the thermostat housing and it read 227 degrees. At the water pump inlet it read 219. I checked at the hydraulic oil cooler and it read 193 at inlet and 185 outlet. I can pull the hydraulic lever up and let the machine run at 3/4 and the temps will come down in roughly 2-3 minutes. The hydraulic cooler will then read 165 inlet 158 outlet. After it warms up you can run it for roughly 30 minutes and then the temp will creep up. I have been giving it a break before it gets hot.

Blake G

Is the fan installed correctly? Seals in place around the cooling package?
Yes sir the fan is pulling air through the coolers. And all of the seals are in place around and under the coolers. Also I forgot to mention I put cool guard 2 back into the radiator and replaced the radiator cap as well.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Yes sir the fan is pulling air through the coolers.

Even if it is on backwards, it will still pull air through the coolers, just not as efficiently. You have to make sure the curve of the blade is in the correct position.

after running it for 30 minutes the temp will start over heating this is with the outside temp being 90 degrees f.

Will it overheat on a cool day?

Blake G

Even if it is on backwards, it will still pull air through the coolers, just not as efficiently. You have to make sure the curve of the blade is in the correct position.

Will it overheat on a cool day?
I’ll check it this morning. And I was going to post an update I ran it for 2 hours yesterday with it being 75 degrees outside and all the temps stayed normal.

Blake G

I checked this morning here’s a picture of the fan. When I took it apart I put it back on the same way it came off.

Attachments

• CBC41B1E-4AE1-4022-AEA9-DF6553FE0511.jpeg
    CBC41B1E-4AE1-4022-AEA9-DF6553FE0511.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Fan is correct.

The low temperature drops indicate air flow issue.

If it only overheats on a very hot day you might have the slower fan drive pulley. Deere offers a different size pulley and belt to spin the fan faster so you have better cooling on a very hot day. It is in a bulletin, and not mentioned on any parts page.

Blake G

Fan is correct.

The low temperature drops indicate air flow issue.

If it only overheats on a very hot day you might have the slower fan drive pulley. Deere offers a different size pulley and belt to spin the fan faster so you have better cooling on a very hot day. It is in a bulletin, and not mentioned on any parts page.
Is this something I call Deere and ask them about? I have talked to the parts guy about the issue I’m having. He took my number and was going to have a tech call me