• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

deere 317g wont start with 12.8 volts

farmandland

I have a 2015 deere 317g skid loader with cab and all electronic goodies. My problem is that it will only click and not engage the starter unless it has about 14 volts. So basically i can only start it from a boost from a vehicle that is running pushing 14+ volts. I have taken the starter and had it tested, had alternator rebuilt, replaced positive and negative battery cables and connectors, replaced battery 3 times, pulled as many connections as i could find and put dielectric grease on them. It pushes 14.4 volts when running. seems like a simple thing but wrestled this for a year and am at a loss. I am not an electrical/electronics guy either.

thanks in advance for any help........

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
What happens if you take a remote starter switch and try cranking it that way? Have you checked voltage at signal wire when cranking? Maybe there’s a bad spot in that wire and there’s voltage drop. Do you have a schematic? Does the signal wire go through any relays?

Was it like this when you got it or did it start this out of the blue? After a repair? I know you changed the cables, are the grounds clean? Are the cables store bought or did you make them? Might not hurt to do a voltage drop test on them.

Also, a bench test of a starter doesn’t always mimic what it sees in the real world. It could still have issues. Had one that would jump off the table but in the machine it would hardly turn over. Ended up finding a brush out of its holder. Do you have an amp clamp so you can see what it’s pulling when you try to start?

Lotsa questions I know lol

farmandland

Good questions. I work out of town and will have to check when get back home. I have swapped out the 3 relays with no change. Pretty sure it was doing this when I bought it. Had new battery then and will start until the battery voltage drops down. Usually 2-3 weeks. Had the cables made and connections were all cleaned. Starter shop took it apart and bench tested it. Will check things you suggested. Thanks

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Welcome to HEF farmandland;)!

First, when posting, always supply a complete machine serial number. Those machines have serial number breaks and it can make a difference on the information needed.

If you have all the electronics (keyless ignition, EH joysticks, etc), then there are many places you could have issues. Having a schematic and voltage drop testing like Junkyard said is important. Throwing parts at it will only cost you unnecessary dollars.

Did you check for codes in the monitor?

farmandland

1to317gjefj288101

Yes. Keyless pad and the works. The only codes I have gotten has been for high water in separator and for some of the keys on keypad. Went through all and checked them out and seem to be good. Thanks

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Voltage drop test can be a quick and easy way to troubleshoot this. You could watch a YouTube video and practice on your machine. Once the concept, “clicks” it’s a great skill to have.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
While I think your issue will be something basic that voltage testing will reveal, I think we need to rule out all codes first. Let's clear the codes. Then I would be curious if anything shows up, either stored or active, when you try to start it.

Tp clear them, key on, press and hold the menu button until the words "SERVICE MENU" appear, release the button. then scroll to codes, press select. Record all active and stored codes. Then one of your choices will be to clear them. Scroll to highlight clear, then press select.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
1485.02 - Main relay invalid
522329.00 - Water in Fuel Very High

Are these codes active or stored?

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
When it clicked without jumping it, is there voltage at the starter's "S terminal? Was the start relay checked? That is located behind the engine under the cab.

For the 1485 code, I would check the K8 switched power relay. That would be located in the fuse box.

If the relay is OK, then we hit the gray area. That 1485.02 code is a bit of an enigma and is not explained well in any of our manuals. The switched voltage, unswitched voltage, and ground voltage to the ECU need to be checked. They need to be checked by backprobing (carefully). It would also be nice to have Service Advisor connected to see what voltage the ECU is reporting vs what is measured.

Last edited:

farmandland

I switched the starter relay with another that used same one. No change. I will have to look at that one in fuse box. All I know to do is change them out. Thanks