• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 4024 Lots of Fuel in Oil

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I have a 4024 powered genset in the shop for a simple checkup. I have seen this unit before, no trouble noted at the time. That was a couple years ago. 456 hours total. 4024HF285 PE4024L139816. It has sat for years.

When I went to change the oil, first I noted the dipstick was high. Chalked it up to oil overfill. But when I drained it, it came out thin like water and smelling of hot diesel fuel. Removed valve cover and insides smell like diesel as well.

This is where it gets frustrating. Put ~10 psi air pressure to the fuel system to see if I can see a leak, nothing. Put dye in the fuel filter and ran it with black light, nothing obvious. The only clue so far is that the #2 Allen head injector pump hold down bolt appears to have dye creeping in from the sides slowly and the meniscus of oil that is present on the other Allen heads is not present on this one, it looks flat or indented a little. I can't figure how fuel would get there since it is high up and not directly under anything that could leak fuel. I looked all around the injection pumps, lines, and injectors while it was running with dye in it and a black light and saw nothing else.

This one has electronic injectors, no rack, but it has high pressure lines with nuts. When I went looking up the fuel system on this I saw fixed pump/line/nozzle assys with no nuts, maybe that came later.

I suppose it could be leaking out the bottom onto the camshaft or leaking from the transfer pump and I would not see that.

I have a sample pulled for SOS shortly.

Ran out of time today so no further observation done.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
My guess would be the transfer pump. Haven’t seen them leak on the Deere but have seen it plenty on other engines.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Well, I think I got it nailed down to #4 injection pump. Heavy UV dye in the fuel, put 20 psi air pressure on the fuel inlet/outlet all day today and definitely a puddle of dye on the #4 injector lifter under that IP and nowhere else. Still waiting on SOS results.

I got thinking about it some more. I have not pulled it yet. It looks like an o-ring top and bottom. What are the chances the fuel gallery o-ring is leaking and not the pump itself? I guess we pull it and re-seal it first before spending big bucks on repairing it.

iu

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
If that engine sits a lot, it is probably the plunger in the pump. There is a reason the Deere parts depots stock LOTS of them. I would think a bad O-ring will be obvious when you remove the pump.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
This engine sat several years without running at all.

I called the local diesel injection shop, they said Delphi said they were NLA, obsolete since they were only used in this application. So off to Deere we go I guess.

I wonder if they are getting them somewhere else now, or if they just have a whole bunch of spares sitting until they run out? New is north of a grand and rebuilt is like $100 less.