• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 650G final drive

Jakes dozer

I have rebuilt the left hand final drive in my 650g direct drive with the upgraded larger axle. It has eaten the seal out twice since we got it back together in a matter of about 30 minutes each time. Is this likely due to damaged on the axle shaft where the seal sits? The lip was chipped off in a couple of places so we welded it up and ground it to match best we could. We even installed the seal with some rtv to help hold the rubber in place. It originally grenaded the upper case next to the quill and we patched it up, now it won’t hold the seal at the bottom.

Jakes dozer

It is the outmost seal on the axle. Similar style seal to how rollers were back when you could rebuild them yourself. Two tapered pieces of rubber with two steel washers inset in the rubber that run together with oil between them. The directions clearly state to apply a thin layer of clean oil during assembly.

Vetech63

If you’re taking about a duo cone seal, those are assembled dry. The metal sealing surface has to be super clean and scratch free.

Jakes dozer

I posted an internet photo of it. Maybe I wrong the instructions in the box wrong. I’ll double check it in the morning.

Welder Dave

If the shaft where a seal rides is worn and leaks a speedi-sleeve is a good way to go. Welding the shaft up or spray welding can be good too but only if it's machined back to size so it's perfectly round. I think even a slight imperfection could cause a seal to leak.