• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 770CH II starts and dies

Jarred4960

Hi all, I have a 770CH II (PIN:DW770CH595386) (ESN:SE6081H390975) that will start and die. Machine fires up immediately and dies as soon as key is released. It will run if key is held in start position. It does read RPM when running and shows no codes. So far I have: Swapped around relays, checked fuses, changed out key switch with known good one, throttle position sensor swap with known good one, fuel filters new, tank screen is clean, connectors checked going to injector pump, multipin connectors checked between cab and engine bay. To the point of thinking its the injector pump or the controller, but I don't know which and there is too much money involved with those to just go firing the parts cannon. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jarred

Welder Dave

Does it shut off with the key? If so sounds like the fuel solenoid is not holding in the run position when you let off start position. I don't think it would keep running if the IP is bad. Bad wire, bad ground or wire connection if the fuel solenoid is OK. Maybe the fuel solenoid can be bypassed to see if it keeps running.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Key switch good? The ECU gets its switched power from a relay. That relay is controlled by the key switch. The switch provides power to that relay in both the crank and run positions. If the ECU does not have a switched signal, the engine won't run. So, I am guessing that when the key is released the ECU switched power goes away.

dieseltoolz

Hi all, I have a 770CH II (PIN:DW770CH595386) (ESN:SE6081H390975) that will start and die. Machine fires up immediately and dies as soon as key is released. It will run if key is held in start position. It does read RPM when running and shows no codes. So far I have: Swapped around relays, checked fuses, changed out key switch with known good one, throttle position sensor swap with known good one, fuel filters new, tank screen is clean, connectors checked going to injector pump, multipin connectors checked between cab and engine bay. To the point of thinking its the injector pump or the controller, but I don't know which and there is too much money involved with those to just go firing the parts cannon. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jarred
If there is no air there is no fire. Make sure the filters arent clogged up
Had the same issue and ended up being an easy fix

Jarred4960

Does it shut off with the key? If so sounds like the fuel solenoid is not holding in the run position when you let off start position. I don't think it would keep running if the IP is bad. Bad wire, bad ground or wire connection if the fuel solenoid is OK. Maybe the fuel solenoid can be bypassed to see if it keeps running.
That is difficult to say since it dies so quickly. Spoke with local pump shop and they say they that it sounds more like an electrical issue. Fuel shutoff was my 1st thought, as that is a common problem, but it is internal to the injector pump.

Jarred4960

Key switch good? The ECU gets its switched power from a relay. That relay is controlled by the key switch. The switch provides power to that relay in both the crank and run positions. If the ECU does not have a switched signal, the engine won't run. So, I am guessing that when the key is released the ECU switched power goes away.
Yes I swapped out the key switch with a known good one and still the same problem. Local Deere sent me a diagnostic test sheet to confirm power to certain relays with key in different positions and it all checked out fine.

Welder Dave

That is difficult to say since it dies so quickly. Spoke with local pump shop and they say they that it sounds more like an electrical issue. Fuel shutoff was my 1st thought, as that is a common problem, but it is internal to the injector pump.
It definately sounds like an electrical issue. Can you check for power on the shut off solenoid with the key in start, run and off positions and do you know if power turns the fuel solenoid on or off? It sure sounds like it changes between start and run position. If it needs power run a temporary wire to it and see if it keeps running with the key in run position. If it doesn't need power disconnect the wire and it should stay running and not shut off.

desertpirate

Jarred
Did you ever find the problem? I'm having the same issue