• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deere 850 B no start.

sawdustmaker

Hi all,
I let my Dozer sit for 3 months or so and now it will not start. It spins over but there is no smoke and it doesn't hit at all. This dozer usually has thick white smoke when its starting. But now theres nothing. I took the back cover off the injection pump and there was some globs of gunk in the oil. I just change the oil and it was overdue.
What would cause something like this? theres a fuel leak at one injector. but i dont think that related.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Machine serial number? There are 2 different engines for that machine.

I took the back cover off the injection pump and there was some globs of gunk in the oil.
That doesn't sound good.

What cover did you take off specifically? Maybe a picture of said gunk or at least a picture of what cover you removed.

Good fuel supply to the injection pump? Has the fuel pressure been checked? Fuel filters inspected/replaced?

sawdustmaker

The serial number is T0850BH763168

The cover I took off is on the back of the bottom of the pump.

I have not checked fuel pressure with a gauge. What I did was loosen the nut on the return and pump the primer and nothing seems to be wrong there.

I can change the fuel filter, but this problem seems more binary in origination than a filter problem. But i may be wrong in thinking that. Every sign I see indicates the I have fuel to the pump, but not out of it.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
Serial number is not coming up. You sure that's the correct serial?

Post a picture of your injection pump.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
I know which cover ur talking about.. u don’t wanna be in there..there’s nothing in there that’ll help u..
Is it an “A” pump or a “P” pump.??
It’ll be in the mdl #.. PES6”P”…
OR PES6”A”…
An A pump will have a removable side cover, held on w 2 screws.(10mm)

sawdustmaker

Is there anything I could do before pulling the pump? It ran fine before i changed the engine oil. I did not run it for a month or too after. Thats when it wouldnt start. I also pressure washed it. That may be the root cause.

Delmer

You can try a screwdriver in the spring and tap down on the side lightly. Maybe that's not allowed either?

Might not be all three stuck, turn the engine over and see if any of the three go down on their own, and also get the engine where another plunger is lifted so you know none of those three are on the cam. You can get them down be removing the delivery valves and tapping directly on the plunger, but I don't know if that will mess up the settings or not. I'd spray something on the plunger inside the springs, since it's water from pressure washing, and not stale fuel, the rust is going to be more to the outside in this case.

Shimmy1

You can try a screwdriver in the spring and tap down on the side lightly. Maybe that's not allowed either?

Might not be all three stuck, turn the engine over and see if any of the three go down on their own, and also get the engine where another plunger is lifted so you know none of those three are on the cam. You can get them down be removing the delivery valves and tapping directly on the plunger, but I don't know if that will mess up the settings or not. I'd spray something on the plunger inside the springs, since it's water from pressure washing, and not stale fuel, the rust is going to be more to the outside in this case.
This forum never ceases to amaze me with the weird things that happen in the wild. I'm having a hard time believing that that engine was running a month ago.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
1 thing u can try..
Remove the fuel inlet line and return line..
Use compressed air to blow out the gallery.. from either end.. u just wanna get the old fuel outta the pump..
Now take your favorite penetrating oil and fill the gallery.. put the overflow valve back in..and fill up the gallery..
Plug off the inlet side..
Now rotate the engine so the penetrating oil gets to all the stuck plungers..
Refill the gallery and repeat..
Once u do that s couple of times.. refill and let it sit for a good hour or two and check it..
I found an excellent penetrating oil on accident..
It’s called: KNOCKER LOOSE..
It’s expensive but worth EVERY PENNY.!!!
Lemme know how you make out.. good luck

Delmer

This forum never ceases to amaze me with the weird things that happen in the wild. I'm having a hard time believing that that engine was running a month ago.
Why? you can see the rust, he said he pressure washed it. If it was bad fuel you'd get one plunger stuck that was up the whole time. This one has at least two stuck, so one was pushed up by the cam and still stuck, possibly all three stuck after being pushed up.

After you get TPG's penetrating oil in the gallery, you don't have to get the stuck ones all the way down in one shot, get each one that's off the cam and still up to move a tiny bit, let it soak some more, then crank the engine over a couple revs and they'll all be pushed to the top again. If they keep moving even the slightest bit with the engine turning, then keep cranking the engine till they drop like the others.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
If u can’t get a helper to crank the engine.. go to the local parts store and get a “remote starter button”… & u can do it by yourself… or get one online.