• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Demoing a Komatsu 1020 skid steer

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
While at ConExpo this year I sent quite a bit of time looking at the Komatsu skid steer. I contacted the dealer and arranged to spend some time with one. I picked it up today and spent about an hour on it. Here are some initial impressions of a 1020

Pilot Controls: These controls are what CAT wished they had produced. It has a pattern changer. In the CAT pattern it is responsive (although not as responsive as the servo controlled machines) much more controlable and less jumpy than CATs. I switched the controls to the CASE pattern and it was quite nice. It has a bit of hesitation that similiar to Bobcats (bucket functions). Running one function at a time it cycles fast, however try and multifuntion and it is slows down. Does not multitask as well as the 70XT. This machine actually has some "feel" to it unlike the CAT system. Other than the multifunction issue is very nice.

Ride Control: This machine is equipped with ride control, however it is not as effective as the CASE ride control.

Cab/interior: The seat is not as comfortable as a CASE suspension seat. The interior is nice and clean, not any frills typical Japanese. The control panel is on the restraint bar that splits in two when you raise it. Easy to read, informative. Trigger controls activate the two speed and the ride control. Visibility to the cutting edge is good, but visiblity to the edge of the bucket is not. The operator sits up higher like a CAT machine.

Engine/drive system: These machines have a destroking system similiar to CAT. You can't kill the engine. Problem is unlike CAT you can't deactivate it or atleast I haven't found that out yet. This machine specs. closely to my 70XT so this is my basis of comparison. The engine seems to bog down easily but yet the power is there when you really push it although not enough. It is not as powerful as the 70XT. This motor does not seem to have the torque that the CASE/Cummins motors have. What the effect of the antistall system is, on the "feel" of power I don't know. It is alittle louder than the CASE machines. Access is quite good. Service points are excellant, on par with the CAT machines.

Looks/design: Not that this is an issue but. It is a bit of a goofy looking machine. This looks Like a Deere with a radial lift mechanism. It is longer and taller than the 70XT. I don't know if I like that well see. I like being as compact as I can. It seems like a fairly beefy machine. Loader arms are large. It has has the CAT/Bobcat unsupported loader arms. I am not a fan of that. I would prefer that the loader arms rest against the frame when the loader arms are down. This reduces loader arm stress and is less likely to "spring" the loader arms. The lights are just bolted to the ROPS. I like having them protected as the CASE machines are.

Well thats enough for now. I can put about 15 hours on this machine so I'll add to this as I have more time on it. That is if it ever quits raining.