• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Demolition Trailer Suggestion

jaclo

Our little dirt company has been doing more and more residential and commercial demolition lately and we have decided we need a good quality trailer to do it with. We have in the past used aluminum and steel trailers with the live sliding floors and had good luck, so our knee jerk reaction was to look for a good live bottom.

My question however is that maybe the live floor isnt the best option for us as it is a highly specialized unit good for not much else than hauling trash. I started wondering if a big end dump trailer would do the job just as well, and plus we could use the trailer on a dirt job if we needed to. The end dump just seems to have more utility.

I am also wondering if guys have trouble with getting the material to come out of the end dumps. It would mostly be wood, iron/steel wouldn't ever be a common load for it.

Anyone with some experience with both I would appreciate a few tidbits of knowledge, also if anyone has any knowledge of the demo trailers with the big ejectors in them I would entertain that idea too.

Thanks in advance!
:drinkup

Landclearer

Jaclo,

We have a 34 foot steel trailer that holds 80yards and use it all the time for hauling demo debris, landclearing debris, concrete(not fully loaded of course) and scrap steel. We had Alfab custom build it to our specs. It is all Hardox steel and have had it for 8 years and not a single crack in it. I think our trailer is on their website. Great people to deal with.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
Around here the most common type of trailer for hauling large amounts of brush/demolition material, is the steel end dump trailer. The tailgates are almost always modified so the large and uneven size materials will come out easily. Two methods are used.
1. Some have high raised hinge areas added, with longish arms added to the top of the tailgate. This creates a very tall opening when the gate is raised. The gate is swung out and open with an air actuated cylinder.
2. Others have the tailgate modified to swing out on one side like a big barn door. The demolition contractors use this type. Guys who haul demo material, as well as a lot of dirt or sand and gravel, use the highlift type.
3. There are a few dual mode tailgate trailers around. These use air cyls, or hydraulic cyls, to change from barn door to regular swingout tailgate. They tend to be very expensive to buy.
Nobody around here uses aluminum trailers for brush/demo material. Everyone uses steel trailers, especially older ones that can get beat up without worrying how they will look.
In fact, just yesterday I bought an old 1971 Hobbs, 30' steel trailer for hauling debris. I plan on having the tailgate changed over to twin swingout barn door type.
I only had to give $7000.00 for it. Has good tires, brakes, lights, and a new tarp. I think I scored on this one.
Jeff

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I like an end dump trailer for demo debris and the ability to use it on dirt jobs and hauling different items. Don't have one but hire one out when I can get it into a demo site as it's much more efficient and cheaper than roll-off boxes.

One can really move some debris when an 80 yard trailer backs into the site. Walking floors and push outs are expensive to purchase and maintain. They have their place but it's hard to beat the utility of an end dump for a contractor who does demo and site work like LC said.

I have been juggling between a tractor with a lowboy to move equipment and a 60-80 yard trailer to haul debris or get a tri-axle dump as I have a 54k tag trailer already to move equipment with. I know there is a big difference between those two setups but our jobs vary in size and scope and of course funds are limited.

Take a look at LC's thread - https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?43671-Demolition-clearing-and-grading

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
That's a nice setup Trent, is the truck and trailer a hook lift or just fixed dump?

TrentNz

Fixed dump. Just have to be a bit careful where u tip the trailer seeing as its so
Big she likes to sway a wee bit haha

jaclo

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I think the live floor is going to be the direction we take, everyone is (too) worried about the end dump being a tip over hazard and I can't say I disagree. We will get a good one found and hopefully have good luck.

tkoden

How many yards are these live bottom trucks? I would be really worried about a rock or chunk of concrete damaging one of the slats. We just purchased a 3 axle 10 wheeler with a 25yd box and a high lift gate. Works phenomenally for hauling demo debris and other materials. The gate also lifts high enough to drive out skid steer under. It is a Mack Granite truck with a Western Fab box.

Mjrdude1

We use end dump trailers due to their being universal and also being heavy duty. The trailers we run keep all 4 sets of duals on the ground through the dump cycle, and are very stable. Of course this means keeping the dump area graded to some degree, and insisting the drivers use a bit of sense. lol

tkoden

Let us know how the live floor works out. They are pretty light duty to impact damage, and rubble will provide plenty of impact damage.
We use end dump trailers due to their being universal and also being heavy duty. The trailers we run keep all 4 sets of duals on the ground through the dump cycle, and are very stable. Of course this means keeping the dump area graded to some degree, and insisting the drivers use a bit of sense. lol

This is what we use. Either "super dumps" (20-25 yard tri-axle dump trucks) for tight jobs or high side end dumps.

Last edited:

jaclo

Hey guys, just so happened we ran across a heavy duty Mac with the heavy live floor in it that was hiding up in minnesota hauling sawdust and wood chips. We aren't too excited about the super singles but it was a buy for what it is. Need to switch the wet kit quick couplers around to match our trucks and off to work she goes. Have quite a bit of light duty demo work coming up this year.

http://i.imgur.com/GG9iDEq.jpg