• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Detroit 60 series issues

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Or an 18 with a 4...... had two trucks that way. Loved them. Stupid low hole and a nice lope down the highway at 70-75 gear as well. 8LL is nice until you get rolling then the gears get a little far apart ratio wise, same for a 15. 13's don't hold up to abuse as well. I will say I've never had a major failure from an 18 but they seem to get noisy, loose and somewhat finicky shifting after a couple hundred thousand hard miles.

Truck Shop

When Eaton came out with the high torque series transmissions in 94 they were designed to be pre-selected. The weak spot for both 13 and 18spd
is the rear main shaft support bearing. As far as the rear section both are pretty tough. And if it's a later Halo oiling system those seem to last a
good while longer. The best thing Eaton did was go to the no burn blocking washers on the main shaft. The reason most remans don't last is poor
inspection of parts on a rebuild. But if you have to replace the front three gear sets in the front section you may as well get another gear box.
The 8LL is good for short distance running but not much of a road box. The best set up for twin is 9X4 or 10X4 IMO.

Truck Shop

001.JPG 015.JPG

crane operator

Well I don't think I'm going to be able to get the old ford. the Mack with the mounted boom truck is going to take a little more work than I thought, so swapping trucks is going on the back burner for now.

In other news, it does seem like the western star is fixed. i made a short run all loaded up, late last week, and everything seemed to work. Bill at the dealer was $560, about $40 for parts, environmental charge, etc., the rest was labor, so he spent a little while looking for it too.

We will see I guess. Thanks for everyone's help.

Tow bill was under $400, the wrecker man and I throw some work each other's way, so I think he gave me a pretty decent deal. It's probably 40 minutes from his shop to where the truck was, then over a hour to springfield, then a hour back home for him, plus his time hooking up and unhooking. I needed someones fancy new underlift kenworth.:)