• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Detroit 6V92 Somebody please explain this...!!!!!

Vetech63

Seen antifreeze do that to engine oil. Liner or head gasket orings, split liner, etc.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I had a rocker stud or something in that area push out of one dropping a good amount of coolant. Luckily we caught it before it tore up the engine.

Vetech63

They usually never get that bad. That sludge gets into the dipstick tube and gives a false reading on the dipstick. Along with those false readings goes extended run times on the engine oil. The last engine I tore down that did this was a total loss.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
We had it's little brother, I believe it was either a 3 or 4-53 almost that bad, but at least the oil was cleaner when it happened. Instead of being black it was just a dark brown!

It was actually NOT an engine problem, this engine ran a water pump and it turned out the seal on the pump had failed.
The pump ran unattended to control flooding in a quarry pit so no one was around when the seal failed. If memory is right the engine actually survived the mess. Seems I recall cleaning all the gunk out we could and then just doing a couple oil changes till the oil looked like oil again.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
New Detroit Diesel Nev-r-leak oil ?
Maybe no thermostat, water build up

Brodiesel

Occupation
My wife makes all the $$$.
They usually never get that bad. That sludge gets into the dipstick tube and gives a false reading on the dipstick. Along with those false readings goes extended run times on the engine oil. The last engine I tore down that did this was a total loss.
Yeah this engine is a loss the customer had to send another core.