• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Detroit ddec2 misfire and smoke

workshoprat92

Got a Detroit ddec2. We did an engine swap as old engine busted a piston. Using original ecm. Anyhow got it in the truck and togeter enough to fill with coolant. Started and let run for several minutes. Was running great with no issues. Activated the jake a few times and even tested cruise control switch function. All checked good. Was setting there idling and it slowly developed a misfire. Got out and noticed white smoke at exsaust. It seems to have misfire at all rpm and same with smoke. Almost has a small pop with it like a jake is slightly activated. Hard to tell if its a pop or just due to misfire. Do have a check engine light. Havent had a chance to pull codes though. Do have the fuel temp sensor unhooked and the low coolant probe unhooked. I could see those causing a engine shutdown condition which it does not do but i casnt see that causing a misfure with smoke. Also let it set for a while and it still does same thing. Last time I started it, it had a hard time starting.
My thoughts on possible causes.
Cps, srs or possibly a jake solenoid leaking or sticking. Any thoughts on where to start? Will try to pull codes and valve cover today.

workshoprat92

Fixed the fuel temp sensor wires and re jumpered the coolant level plug. With coolant level plugged in it was throwing a shut down engine code. Gotta figure there is a high resistance between the sensor wires and ecm. Anyhow jumpering it the shut down code goes away. With all that corrected started it up and let it idle for the better part of an hour. Ran clean as can be with no smoke and the issue did not show up. Ran it several times throught the day and could not recreate the issue. Even ran it around the farm roads for a few laps. Jaked the hell out of it and still could not recreate the issue. I have a hard time believing running it without the fuel temp sensor plugged in would cause that issue but maybe? Guess im just gona finish it up and put it back in service and see what comes back. Dont know what else to do at this point.