• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Deutz f4l 1011

mattyt1984

How do you adjust fuel timing? I checked cam to crank and it's right on. Can the fuel pumps be shimmed with thinner gasket or none? It seems like they need to fire a little quicker so engine won't smoke. Any suggestions?

mattyt1984

I did swap them all cylinders seem to fire but some better than others. I did compression check again all were 400 psi or more. The engine seems to run ok just the smoke I am concerned with now. I also replaced all injectors with new

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
You can sync the pumps by loosening the retaining nuts just a hair and rotating the pump ccw or cw till you hear the cylinder fire with the others. Your supply and return manifold will make this difficult but not impossible.
Asking again, did moving the injectors make any change?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I did swap them all cylinders seem to fire but some better than others. I did compression check again all were 400 psi or more. The engine seems to run ok just the smoke I am concerned with now. I also replaced all injectors with new
Evidently, a bit of lag in the responses posting. I would try method mentioned before playing with pump timing. Had a couple customers thought they were gonna get " mo powah" wound up with melted pistons and scored holes.

mattyt1984

When I swapped the pumps it didn't seem to make much difference. By turning the pumps that just adjust fuel amount current?

mattyt1984

I'm getting closer to getting this figured out I synced each pump while engine was in full rev and got it to little smoke. Still seems like it smokesa bit much. Anyway to determine shim height or possible to run with no shim? I think my head gasket may be different thickness than original which could change the timing? I'm thinking of possible running with thinner shim so injectors fire sooner. At low rpm there is no smoke.

mattyt1984

I'm still working on this when I replaced the broken lifter I switched the cam from a deutz bf4m1011 thinking they were the same. Are these different? I thought only diff was external radiator.