• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Dewatering??

PipeGuy

What experiences does the board have for dewatering? I'm looking at a couple of jobs that will require dewatering. The pipe isn't deep so well points would work. I personally like deep wells better. Just wondering what kind of opinions that I might get off here. Well points or deep wells?

dayexco

i prefer deep wells because i don't have that manifold, suctiono hoses, points to contend with and work around

rino1494

Depends on how high the water table is and how much water are we talking about. Will you have to dewater before excavation or dewater after excavation just to keep up with the ground water ?? I've never had experience with well points or deep wells because our water table isn't that high. If we get into ground water problems, we will dig a sump pit at our lowest spot and dig under the pipe a little deeper and run a 4" perf pipe with extra stone back to the sump.

Turbo21835

It all depends on the amount of water your running into. Around here points are popular. Mostly due to the volume of water. We have a mix of sand and clay in this area. If you hit a sand seam you can be in for a lot of water. A local job here a few years ago had a lot of water. Sanitary sewer, 17ft deep. With well points every 4-5 feet. Water table was at 14ft. They were able to get the water table down to 16ft. They would undercut a 3ft section for every stick of pipe and use a trash pump to get as much water out as they could. Misreble job for the pipe layer. The well point system was pumping 17,000 gallons of water every minute.